Friday, January 30, 2009

Hey isn't it bad enough that Philly beat the Giants, do they have to win the pool too!


Start with good beef. Pat’s uses sliced rib-eye. Jim’s uses USDA choice top round western steer beef.
Shave the beef very thin so it cooks quickly and remains tender.
Use a fresh high quality Italian roll - Amoroso’s is a favorite.
Decide if you want your steak with or without fried onions.
Decide if you want a steak or a cheesesteak. If you elect a cheesesteak you need to decide on American cheese, provolone or the Philly favorite "cheez whiz."
Any add-ons? Mushrooms, peppers, pizza sauce, tomatoes? You decide. It’s your sandwich.
Start to cook. Sauté the onions, peppers and mushrooms until soft.
Fry your steak until brown but not crispy or burned. You can mix in the fried vegetables now or add them at the end.
If you elect American cheese or provolone place the cheese on the meat until slightly melted. If you choose Cheez Whiz just smear it on the roll.
Place the roll over the meat/cheese/vegetables and scoop it into the sandwich.
Garnish your sandwich with pizza sauce, hot or sweet peppers or pickles as you choose.
Enjoy your Philadelphia cheesesteak.
Tips:
Using the best beef available is the key.
Don't overcook the ingredients.
If you don't cook, go to Pat's, Geno's or Jim's. Which one is best? It's a regular Philadelphia debate.
By John Fischer Aboutdotcom Philladelphia/South Jersey.

So AJ what do you say? This is your native cuisine. Is this the real deal or what?

10 comments:

I'm Full of Soup said...

"Steaks on South" Street is the best! Made by Pat Dougherty & Company.

Garrett Hill Pizza in Villanova is second and I'd put Geno's and few other at third!

dr kill said...

How many times I gotta tell you fools it's Tony Luke's on Oregon?

Nichevo said...

I heard Pat's uses much more meat than Geno's. But who would pick chuck over rib? Is chuck somehow better in this format?

Darcy said...

Well, the recipe sounds better than photos of these sandwiches look. I've never tried one, and to be honest the Cheez Whiz/American cheese idea turns me off.

But provolone? Ok, I'd try that!
And pizza sauce? Mmmm.

I need to work out before I read Trooper York's anymore. *sigh* Hungry now.

Trooper York said...

It doesn't look like much but boy is it good.

And cheese wiz is the way to go. Trust me that's the best.

With an ice cold beer. Oh baby.

Trooper York said...

I think chuck is better because it is fattier. Fattier is always more tasty.

Hoosier Daddy said...

I'm three for three now. I can pick beer, women and food.

I'm Full of Soup said...

Dr. I have never been to Tony Luke's yet.

chickelit said...

@Darcy:
My mom used to make grilled cheese with Cheez Whiz. Sounds like sacrilege considering I grew up in "America's Dairyland". Sometimes moms and kids know best.

Darcy said...

Hey, chickenlittle!

Well, I would try it with the Cheez Whiz then. I trust you sandwich conoisseurs!

We ate Cheez Whiz on broccoli or cauliflower growing up, and I liked that.