Saturday, July 18, 2009

Problems of a shopkeeper

One of the problems I have is that I talk too much. I mean I always have a joke or a saying or something that I try and entertain the customers with especially if I am the only one in the store and I have to juggle and amuse them before the wife or one of the girls gets in. So I have some stock sayings and jokes that always work. But sometimes I mess up and get in trouble.

Now you are looking at one of our best selling bags. As a man I am always astounded by the amount women will pay for a handbag. I mean we could be watching TV and the wife will say "That's a fifteen thousand dollar handbag" and I just shake my head. But with that said these bags are definitely worth the money. They are large and have a heavy strap so they can carry a lot of stuff but best of all they are made of butter soft leather that you have to feel to see how great it is. It is made from deerskin which can be a great selling point. I mean most women only care about the fashion but in our neighborhood we do get a lot of ultra-liberal touchy feely dirty hippies who are all about animal rights and all that stuff. I happened to catch one of those the other day as I was showing her the bags. I was extolling the virtues of the bag, the rich feel of the fabric, the soft felt inner lining and the gold lock in the outside flap where you could lock you ipod or cell phone. And of course I step in it. " Yes feel that rich leather, it's deerskin.'" "What do you mean it's deerskin? " "You know it's deerskin. You know like Bambi's mother."

Let's just say I won't be using that joke anytime soon.


But hey it is a great bag and really worth the money. And it is selling lot hotcakes.

2 comments:

ricpic said...

More deerskin bags! Upstate New York is overrun with the damn things. They leave their calling cards all over my prop'ty. And they're a major road hazard. Ooh I get an itchy finger sometimes.

The Dude said...

I hear you. I sell wooden objects and if I use the correct terms for where the wood came from the prissy customers get offended.

Customer: Oh, this is nice. Me: Yeah, baby, that there is crotch wood.

Customer: I like this grain. Me: Yep, that's from the butt of the log.

Customer: I love wood. Me: I can see that you do, baby, now come on around here and we'll talk.

Customer: Can I rub your bowls? Me: Tell your husband to take a hike and we can see about that.

It's a dangerous business, I'm tellin' ya.