Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Remembrance of things Pabst


So last night we were exhausted. The wife and I worked the store alone as our employees are off and we had to open and work from 10 in the morning to 9pm at night. So it was a long day.

We wanted to do something different so we didn't go for wine or cheese or even pizza at Hanley's. We decided to get some Mexican at Mezcals at the end of Court St. Now Mezcals is a sort of chain. I think the original is on Atlantic Avenue that we used to go to back in the day. It is next to Pete's Alehouse where we used to go for beers and when it got too crowded we would go next door and have margarita's and taco's and stuff. One of the waiter guys opened up an outpost on Court St and it is very good plain Mexican fare. It is right next door to this new Yuppie hipster doufous place called Buttermilk channel which getting all these great write-ups and stuff. Hey give me a pitcher of margarita's, nacho's and some chili realanos and I am a happy guy.

Anyway we go in and sit down and the place is surprisingly crowded for a Tuesday night at 10pm. There are couple of scrungy hipster doufous couple and older Spanish couple (60's) on what looks like a date and a lone bomber guy nursing a beer and a grudge. Then all of a sudden the climate changed.

A couple of Beth's friends came in and sat at the bar. They order drinks and are loud and boisterous. Which is cool that is generally how I am all the time anyway. Then two more come. Then four more. Suddenly there are about fifteen woman ranging from forty to fifty something at the bar. Now not all of them order drinks. In fact I think only about three of them. But they looked like they had been drinking somewhere else. But they took up the whole bar area which is right in front of the kitchen as they are all gesticulating and laughing and joking and having a fine old time. Now the poor waiter guy doesn't know whether to shit or go blind. He can't pass through them and has to squeeze by with his platters losing some refried beans here and slopping out some salsa there. Now these aren't the regular waiters who usually get off on Monday's and Tuesday's. This is the second team who are usually the bussers and dish washers but who are working their way up in the world. Their command of English is kind of limited and he didn't know enough to ask them to move out of the way or order something if they were going to take over the restaurant. I mean it was kinda hilarious watching this all unfold. The attack of the short haired pants wearing woman.

Anyway they finished up, paid the tab which was probably about ten bucks and left. It was really funny. So the waiter comes up to me and is shaking his head. You see I always make friends with the people in the joint if I am in there once or twice. So I knew this kid from when he was a bus boy. I go to him "Wow Pedro it was really busy there for a moment." He goes "Si boss, but they no buy nothing." So I tell him
"But Jose you had to offer them some fish taco's. I bet you would have sold a few."

He had no idea what I was talking about.

But most of the time no one ever does.

2 comments:

Hoosier Daddy said...

I think you live vicariously through me sometimes Troop. Last night Mrs. Hoosier and I went for Mexican last night and we have this nice local chain down here in Hooterville that we frequent where I have been hanging out practicing my Espanol with the undocumented American busboy community.

Best damn fish tacos around let me tell you. Mrs. Hoosier of course is partial to her beef burritos go figure.

Anyway I'm a big fan there because it's right next to the gym I work out at and I always stop in afterward for a Dos Equis or Negro Modelo after a good workout. I shit you not, on Tuesdays and Thursdays they have 32oz mugs of drafts for $4.50. I've come to the conclusion that running a 5K on the treadmill and $8 worth of beer is just breaking me even.

Hoosier Daddy said...

Oh and just in case anyone is wondering, I did try drinking first and then running it off but I ended up tripping and falling down on the treadmill.

It took a week for the skidmark from the treadmill on my face to wear off so I came to conclusion that drinking and running don't mix either.