Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Revisiting old favorites.


I love to reread my old books. The wife thinks I am crazy and wonders why I keep so many of my books but I always like to reread them over and over again. It is like visiting with an old friend. Since I am a very fast reader I zip right through them. But it is always enjoyable. So when I leave in the morning for the train I grab a book off the shelf and reread it.

This week I grabbed a nifty little piece of alternative history called "1901" by Robert Conroy. In it he asks what would happen if Kaiser Wilhelm decided that Germany should have the overseas possessions like Cuba, Puerto Rico and the Philippines that the US had just taken from Spain. So the Germans invade New York to force the issue and get the US to turn over these overseas "colonies." It is a fun read. Not great literature but a page turner. As is usual in these books, the historical figures are fun but the fictional characters that are used as plot devices can get kind of tiresome. But it is still a great way to pass the time while riding the train to work.

7 comments:

chickelit said...

Nice Pickelhaube.

ricpic said...

I would be SO much happier if our rulers hadn't gotten the empire bug back in the 1890's. Sotomayer on the German Supreme Court. Have fun, Otto.

rcocean said...

Sounds interesting. Read a book 10 years ago about actual Imperial German Army war plans with the USA. I can't remember the exact details but it was something like:

1) Equip Expeditionary force of 100,000 men

2) ???

3) Land them at Newport News - win War.

Hoosier Daddy said...

rcocean, check out 1901 by Robert Conroy. A decent alternate history of a German invasion of the Eastern US.

Pretty much was a parallel of Pearl Harbor that the idea wasn't to defeat us but to force a settlement of territory. Not a bad read.

Linky

rcocean said...

Thanks Hoosier Daddy.

Trooper York said...

Guys did you read the post. The book that Hoosier Daddy is talking about is the subject of the post.

rcocean said...

Hey, I was just being polite to HD.

Besides, that eexy picture of Heather confused me.