Friday, July 25, 2014

House of Pizza Update

Lisa tells me I am corrupting Omar and all of his little buddies. They are mini-trooper yorks. Now they all go to the Italian bakery for apple turnovers and espresso. They curse out the "Dirty Yuppies" and the "Dirty Hippies." They all hate Obama and De Blasio. Want to get guns and not pay taxes.

And they all want to go to the House of Pizza for a slice.

Now that my Granddaughter is here Omar is driving us around a lot. Plus we are working on the back room so we are going to get supplies and lighting and this and that. So when we have to stop for lunch I say "Where do youse guys want to go?" They all shout "The House of Pizza and Calzone."

This was one of the three places I ate lunch every day when I was in grammar school. It is right across the street from the panele store on the other side of the highway. It will be in a couple of scenes in "Joey Gallo's Lament" if I can ever find enough time to pick up the story.

They have great pizza. Even better Sicilian slices. But best of all is the deep fried calzones.

These beauties are deep fried in oil that has been there since I was in grammar school. Deep fried in their crusty glory they have no meat on Fridays which meant that Omar could have some today since he doesn't do pork. I had to forego it because of my diet. Having a slice of pizza was bad enough. Or good enough.

But everybody else had a grand old time. Worth the trip.

I am lucky it is ten blocks away and too far to walk to on a regular basis.


2 comments:

ndspinelli said...

Always love the food posts. You were raised right, taking care of people and feeding them well. It's in the dago genes.

rcocean said...

great photos. No more blurs. Did Chip Ahoy give you lessons?