Monday, July 14, 2014

Remembrance of Things Pabst


We have really been burning the midnight oil. Witness the facts that I have not been posting. I have been feeling like shit and filling up with water. The doctor prescribed some water pills and I have been taking them and peeing like a racehorse. I am supposed to be eating right and resting. So of course I am working like a dog and going out to eat. A two week push and we should be done. So I have to suck it up and keep grinding.

We decided to keep it simple and went to one of our old favorites: Red Rose. This is an old fashioned spaghetti and meatball joint that I should have taken Spinelli too as it sounds like his family's restaurant that he sometimes talks about when he is lost in nostalgia. This is the family who used to have a candy store on Cheever Place that I wax nostalgic about where I would get the big heroes at lunch time. They went and opened a restaurant on Smith St. about forty years ago and I have been going ever since.

This is like the old school restaurant on "Big Night." Only it is the spaghetti parlor with the Chianti bottle with the red checkered table cloth. There are a lot of cross currents and stories with this joint. First of all we had to take it off the list because they never turn on the air conditioning. Or rather the Mom who sat at a front table smoking cigarettes would always get up and shut it off. One night we were there and we would ask the son Santo to turn up the A/C and then five minutes later his Mom would go and turn it off! Now the son is in his late forties so it is kind of funny. Anyway the Mom kicked off and she is somewhere where it is not a problem because it is always pretty hot. And they have the a/c blasting.

When we got there the place was hopping. It was an interesting mixture. Mostly old school neighborhood people. Some hipsters who are clued in on a good place with great food and a lot on the plate. An mixed bag. But it was a full house so we had to sit at the bar.

Now this is an old school full bar. Santo's wife was sitting at the bar. Another person we had a history with. She is plus size and should have been a big customer of ours since she needs clothes for work. But she only came to the store once and bought one thing. She had a liquor store that failed. I had bought some stuff there but I used my regular guy on the corner of my house for most of my wine purchases. I mean I have to do what is right for me. If she was a big customer in my store I would have made it my business to spend more in hers but that didn't happen. Anyhoo she was bartending so it was time for a lot of phony "How is the store?" and "How's business?" discussions. Lisa had a Cosmo and I had some juice while we waited for a table to open up.

I was just sitting and chilling and letting Lisa carry the conversational ball while I relaxed. When we finally sat down it was right under the a/c duct. Yippee! We started with a rice ball and an eggplant ball. The eggplant ball was a rolled up deep fried eggplant with mozzarella inside covered in red sauce. Pretty tasty. The rice ball was the old reliable with peas and chop meat. Delicious.

For the main course Lisa had angel hair with grilled chicken and artichoke hearts in white wine sauce. I had my old favorite old fashioned Meatballs and spaghetti. I haven't had that in years. When I was a kid we ate that at least twice a week. It was nothing for Mom to whip it up. It took the place of mac and cheese in our house. I was in heaven.

I choose the stuffed meatballs that were stuffed with mozzarella and were just great. No desert because we had broke enough rules for the night. We paid said our goodbyes and went out for a walk down Smith Street checking out all the other places that were open. There were a whole bunch of new restaurants and bars and places to go but we were happy at an old stomping ground where we have history both good and bad.

Because as long as we have each other it doesn't really matter where we go.


12 comments:

Evi L. Bloggerlady said...

That is the best sort of place. And you were with the right person.

Evi L. Bloggerlady said...

You can never go wrong with Sicilian rice balls, if you have a Sicilian making them.

ndspinelli said...

Going to Chicago w/ our daughter and son-in-law tomorrow. Eating @ Ditka's for the first time. Steak or pork chop there.

Evi L. Bloggerlady said...

You asking me Nick? Pork chop, every time.

chickelit said...

I recognize practically every bottle on that shelf by name.

I don't see any tequila.

ndspinelli said...

Evi, That's my plan. They serve it w/ mashed sweet potatoes, which I like.

ndspinelli said...

chick, SoCal is the tequila capitol of the US. Nowhere else do you see as much tequila. East Coast bar has maybe 2 or 3 bottles. We go to a bar in Mission Beach, Guava Beach. They have a tequila list w/ probably a hundred brands.

Dust Bunny Queen said...

I recognize practically every bottle on that shelf by name.

I once went to a very upscale bar in a hotel in Banff. I was on a conference/trip paid for by an insurance company that I was affiliated with.

The bar had a giant mirror on the back wall and shelving that went all the way across and all the way to the ceiling. There was one of those library type ladders that attach to a top rail, and then you can slide the ladder back and forth the length of the back bar.

On the shelves were perched the bottles of liquor. The lower shelves were for the ordinary liquor. Lots of scotch in this bar. The higher up you went the more expensive it became until on the very top shelf we are talking $500 a shot. Naturally, I kept to the bottom two shelves.

Whenever the bartender would slide the ladder and climb up to the top, everyone would....discretely of course...stop and wait to see WHO was ordering that top shelf booze.

It was very fun.

rcocean said...

"They have a tequila list w/ probably a hundred brands."

Which is amazing, because it all tastes the same.

rcocean said...

Great Post Troop. And great picture. My Aunt would've loved that place. She grew up on Mac and Cheese, but loved Spaghetti - which she could only get when they visited Big City USA a couple times a year.

The rest of the time it was Chef Borardi - or whatever that canned crap was.

Now her small town has a Chinese restaurant, a Mexican one, and Thai. So - progress.

rcocean said...

She grew up in the 40s BTW.

Trooper York said...

You step back into the forties when you go to this joint RC.

That was the tab as well. $41.50 with the drinks on the arm.

He knows the deal and wants us back.