Sunday, July 6, 2014

Sometimes I feel like todays Gospel is in Response to my Musing



You see I was sitting in church today thinking about Donkey Chocolate. Well that is not exactly true. It was after the first reading I started to think about Donkey Chocolate.

Thus says the LORD:
Rejoice heartily, O daughter Zion,
shout for joy, O daughter Jerusalem!
See, your king shall come to you;
a just savior is he,
meek, and riding on an ass,
on a colt, the foal of an ass.


Now I wondered. Did they make chocolate form that ass's milk? Did they even have chocolate back then? Where does chocolate come from? The colt was the foal of the ass but is the candy bar the tasty treat from an ass? Am I being an ass? Should I pay more attention instead of thinking about chocolate?

The answer to the the last question was yes.

Today was the first Sunday in Ordinary Time. Father Chris spoke about Ordinary Time and how he had to wear the same vestments all through it until November. He had worn Red last Sunday and someone said he should wear that color more often. He talked about Ordinary time and how it was a long stretch until Advent.

When Mass was over everyone lines up to say thank you and goodbye. It is your chance to interact with Father. So when it was my turn I said "I love ordinary time. Now every thing is back to ordinary. I can go to Mass and do the normal things I do on a normal Sunday. Don't knock ordinary time until you lose it. Then you will really miss it."

11 comments:

Evi L. Bloggerlady said...

I always liked Ordinary Time too. It seems better than ordinary to call it Ordinary Time.

Evi L. Bloggerlady said...

Couldn't Jesus change pretty much anything into chocolate?

Trooper York said...

You would think.

Michael Haz said...

You modernists and your Vatican II stuff! It's Catholic Lite, nothing more than that.

Today is the Fourth Sunday After Pentecost. Anyone knows that. The Epistle is from Paul; the Gospel is from St. Luke.

You guys aren't going to get the best seats in Purgatory. Or something.

MamaM said...

The other name for Ordinary Time in the Prod establishments, where children receive instruction regarding the church calendar, is Green Growing Season

And that's how I like to view these weeks in between big events where life rolls on. It's the green growing season here too with the summer drought yet to happen, and the annuals having enough root to start blooming.

MamaM said...

No yellow in the church calendar. Just sayin'.

As long as you had the Father's ear, why didn't you tag him with the big Chocolate question? With asses getting a free ride fresh on his mind, today would have been the day to trot out the Chocolate Donkey puzzler..

chickelit said...

I rarely actually read the fine print.

windbag said...

Tom Waits weighs in on the conversation.

MamaM said...

That was smooth, windbag. I heard Waits live back in the mid-70's when he was singing about red shoes. The man has a gift.

Read this tonight: If Jesus is the “image of the invisible God” then God is nothing like we expected

Depends on expectations, I guess.

Speaking of which, I missed the Donkey Chocolate post preceding this one, which left me clueless about where the ass treat brain storm originated.

Evi L. Bloggerlady said...

Thanks windbag, great song!

ndspinelli said...

Waits played a great psychopath in the quirky/funny flick, 7 Psychopaths.