Monday, July 7, 2014

Vertigo!



When we went to see the fireworks we went over some granola guy's house in Park Slope. They were friends of my friends and we just tagged along. There was some talk that the mayor might be there but thank God he didn't make it.

The guy was a retired fireman who went native in Park Slope and bought a couple of brownstones on the cheap in the 1970's and sold them for a lot of money. He married an "ex-lesbian" who is thirty years younger than him. Trust me not hot.

Anyhoo we had to walk up this freaking sprial staircase that was two stories high to get to the roof. With my bad knees it was a killer. Plus you had to keep going in circles.

Coming down we were almost the last as usual. But of course the wife has to stop to take photo's.

Sometimes you life is just like a Hitchcock Movie.

10 comments:

Chip S. said...

Just as long as there wasn't a nun at the top of the stairs...

Michael Haz said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
MamaM said...

Or the bottom. Who wants to descend only to find a nun with a ruler telling you to turn around and step up.

chickelit said...

Calling those damn things "spiral" is a pet peeve of mine. A spiral is flat, two-dimensional geometric shape with ever widening spires. Think Spirograph.

That geometric shape is a helix. It's a helical staircase.

/pedantry

chickelit said...

@Haz: Mary carries a sharp knife. She wields it very precisely against Althouse which is probably why she is banned -- the bleeding is life-threatening. Mary wields that same knife haphazardly towards others, which is why she isn't well-liked by others.

There is an important lesson there: if you think she's said something wrong or unfair against someone you know, chances are she's done the same against someone you don't know.

Michael Haz said...

@Chick - I've deleted the comment that quoted Mary Glynn. Next time before I quote someone's comment, I'll refer to the manual of who is offended by whom.

chickelit said...

As insightful as Mary may seem about Althouse, I cannot forget how vicious she was to Annie Gottlieb (Amba).

Troop, I'm outta here for a while. I've got way too much on my plate for drama.

I'll be back.

MamaM said...

I'll miss you, chickelit. I hope you'll continue to post at Lem's. Good luck on new endeavors! And...Break an Egg!!

Chip S. said...

There's gratuitous meanness, and there's the sting of deep truth.

I'm put off by the former, but not the latter.

But enough about me...

MamaM said...



And sometimes the two are served up together, which seems to be the problem with Mary. She does know how to write, find the tender point and cut to the bone; and the comment posted here was a fine example of that.

As were the two different responses, one of copying and bringing her comment over and the other of stating an awareness that resulted in removal.

When I read her comments, I experience a mix of feelings that includes fascination along with a sense of repulsion. I didn't understand what this was about until I read Chip S' observation, on meanness and truth, and realized I'm probably reacting to the presence of both elements in a two part deal.