Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Remembrance of Things Pabst


I haven't been feeling well with all of the stress and worry about the store and the Japan order so we decided to go to the doctors today. The only problem is that he is not in his local office at Atlantic Avenue this Friday because it is the 4th of July. Plus he is going on vacation for three weeks so I had to go to his main office on Flatbush Avenue which is all the way on the other side of Brooklyn new Kings Highway off of Avenue U.

I called my faithful Bengali companion to drive us there first thing in the morning. Luckily everything was fine and I just have to take more water pills. Since we got up so early and have been working so hard we decided to give ourselves a treat. We each got to pick an activity that would make us happy.

Lisa picked the make up counter at Macy's so she could replenish all of her perfume, eyeliner and mascara needs. She had a lot of fun buying stuff and handing out cards to the chubby sales girls.

Then we turned to my pick. That was lunch at the best roast beef place in NYC. Brennan and Carr's on Nostrand Avenue.

They have a small menu but everything on it is great. The best thing of all is the roast beef sandwich. It is a pile of rare roast beef covered in melted American cheese on a soft Kaiser Roll. What makes it particularly good is that they dip it in the Au Jus drippings. The entire sandwich. It is just perfection.

The sandwich is just soft and delectable and wonderful. The melted all-American cheese gives it that cheese steak feel but without the onions. It is simply the best roast beef sandwich in NYC.

They used to have great hand rolled mozzarella sticks that were crusty with batter and as thick as a hot dog. Alas they went to the regular commercial ones but they were still tasty.

There wasn't a lot of them so we got a couple for the table. Of course in honor of Tony Soprano's last meal we had to order something else for the table.

On of the funny things that happened was Omar told me "Jim these people all give me funny looks when I come and sit with youse guys. These dirty yuppies all look at me funny."

You see he mistook my "dirty hippies rants" for "dirty yuppie rants" and now he goes off on them all the time. He hates the hipsters more then I do. But he loves all the food I take him to eat.

I told him "Well they don't understand how we can have a friend who looks like you. You see they are full of a lot of talk but in real life they hang out with lily white people." I had to give him a strategy. "Just tell them you are our adopted son. Tell them to think of me as Madonna."

Because I am a material girl. So Papa don't preach. I want to vogue with my sandwich and my onion rings.

24 comments:

Trooper York said...

Of course I got approval from my doctor for all of this. No alcohol which kind of sucks because nothing is better than a cold draft beer while you are wolfing down your roast beef sandwich.

I went light on the sticks and the fries. Just had a taste.

Omar took up the slack.

I am going to turn him into a fifty year old racist white guy before you know it.

Trooper York said...

That was from then new batch of Hawaiian shirts by the way.

ndspinelli said...

There are several supermarkets in the Madison area called Woodman's. The people who work there are mostly Mexican, Asian and poor white. That's who shops there too. I do ~70% of my shopping there. You NEVER see liberals in the store. They go to Whole Foods, Co-ops, and upscale grocery store. TOP would never go into Woodmans.

Chip S. said...

That s'mother of a sandwich!

rcocean said...

Dude, I'll take the Roast Beef Plate with a Boilermaker, followed by some Pie ala-mode.

Hold the heart attack.

rcocean said...

Are those prices for real? I just paid $15 for a thin Mexican steak, with onions, along with some rice and beans.

rcocean said...

Course that includes tip.

MamaM said...

So Papa don't preach.

Nothing said about MamaMs not preaching. Not when they hear, under the palaver about onion rings and roast beef, words like "stress, worry, and working so hard."

Those last three are further up the list than salt, alcohol, two roast beef sandwiches and a frickin' platter of onion rings.

Evi L. Bloggerlady said...

That roast beef sandwich made me hungry.

Damn, I am turning into a cannibal.

I want some friggin pie too.

MamaM said...

It does look good. (the cow sammich)

The ala mode pricing on the pie seems a bit high, twice as much in fact, maybe cuz it's two desserts in one?

Cow pie without anything more on top would be the way to to go.

Michael Haz said...

Trooper, it's good to see that you are getting the fruit and vegetables back out of your diet. That stuff'll ruin you.

Nick - I shop at a Woodman's, too. But my favorite is a place called Cermak Fresh Market, run be some Greeks from Chicago. The store's intended market is immigrant families, so the ethnic foods aisle is about half of the store.

Plus, like all Greek food stores, the produce is high quality and low price.

ndspinelli said...

MamaM w/ her usual wisdom. Focusing on eating an occasional order of onion rings, and not controlling the real beast of stress, is myopic.

ndspinelli said...

Haz, Thanks! It's right near Miller Park. I will stop next time.

Trooper York said...

The prices are correct. This is a working class joint in Sheepshead Bay.

Not for your rich hipster douche bags like most of the restaurants in Carroll Gardens.

Evi L. Bloggerlady said...

Those are good prices, and exceptional given it is New York.

windbag said...

I know that NYC is stupid, crazy expensive, but when we used to visit my sister (she lived in Astoria), I always thought the prices were reasonable. She was married to a Greek, so all we ever frequented were his Greek haunts. If you can afford to go out once in a while, life's pretty damn good.

Trooper York said...

There are tons of places with good food and reasonable prices. Those are the "regular guy" joints and people tell me I should write a book to point them out to people.

The problem is that when they start going there they change and aren't what they once were.

It is a dilemma.

blake said...

We have increasingly fewer "regular guy" joints out here. Well, no, "regular white guy" joints, I should say. Lotsa "regular hombre" joints.

I mean, if you want a taco? I can get you a taco. I can get you tacos from all over the world, all within five minutes of my house. Mexican tacos, Salvadorean tacos, Guatemalan tacos, American tacos, Chinese tacos... You name it, we got it.

As long as it's a taco.

Roast beef sandwich? You're out of luck.

Trooper York said...

Well as I told Omar...if you want to find a good place to eat....just follow a fat white guy. You will end up with the real deal.

MamaM said...

And pie? Who does pie anymore besides Evi?

Trooper York said...

I was the only one who had pie.

I did the classic. Hot apple pie with Vanilla Ice Cream.

It's the 4th of July Damn It!

ndspinelli said...

Pie is still big in the Midwest. Both our kids preferred birthday pies.

windbag said...

My daughter just made a blackberry pie that she made with berries she picked this evening. We prefer pie over cake any day.

Aridog said...

Yes, it is the 4th of July. The day I came home from Asia, after nearly 3 years, at Ft Lewis. More importantly, the day my best friend became a US citizen in Chene Park, Detroit, many years ago. Yes, we are celebrating his citizenship today at his rectory. The menu is "Holy Hamburgers" that I named for the quality of the beef used, and the seasonings included, such as sesame and zatar....because it was my friend who found the local butcher who makes this "divine" concoction. Judi, "ZB" and I will stuff ourselves...and watch some "futbol" which "ZB" is still trying to explain to me....I keep waiting for the excitement. Still waiting. Maybe today is the charm:-))

Have a great 4th everyone here and every where.

BTW...I thanked Lem personally for his clear, concise, simple, & true interpretation of what "proud to be American" means.