Saturday, July 19, 2014

Just Deserts?



I have to be careful what I eat these days. No salt. No alcohol.

Last week we went to Marco Polo because we worked late at the store. We walked in and one of Lisa's girlfriends was sitting at the bar with her husband. That worked since we were only going to have appetizers so it was no big deal. The only problem was that Tony the regular bar tender was on a cruise so they had the manager working the bar. This was a young dude from Naples all dressed in black who had a giant mop of uncut hair like a fuckin' mop or something. A real ginzo of the current school so to speak.

I have a funny relationship with the guy. He started as the manager while I was sick in the hospital. I hadn't been there in about four months or so. So one day Lisa and I walk in and he stops me at the desk. "Hello do you have a reservation?" "Yeah right pal." We walk in and sit down at our favorite table. The waiters see us and the all come over to hug and kiss me. Marco comes running from out of the kitchen and Joe the owner from the office. So the guy figures out that maybe we had been there before.

Anyhoo he was bar-tending. He made Lisa a Cosmo that was adequate but not like the one that Tony makes that I put a photo up a few weeks ago. I was just going with Cranberry juice per my new instruction. So the group was enjoying cocktails and then wine with the appetizers while I was just chilling. Now Lisa's friend's husband is someone I know for about fifty years. He is an arrogant douche of the first water.  But I can get along with any sort of asshole. I mean I have dinner with Spinelli all the time. But this dude spent his time talking investments with the ginzo bar-tender who should have invested in a freaking pair of scissors for fucks sake. Anyway after we all finish eating he breaks out this personal dessert he made for everyone. It is Italian style. Fresh fruit soaked in a liqueur. It was delicious. As I was digging in he goes "Basta I forgot you don't drink. There is alcohol in this." I go "Relax Furio, I am just sick not an alky. I can have a little I am not on the wagon."

It was pretty tasty. Melons, berries, peaches and grapes. Very refreshing.