Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Hey, even though that mean blogger lady thinks we are stinkers, we want to smell good and Palladian has the straight poop! So to speak.


Hey our buddy Palladian has some advice about colonge for your stinkers in a comment I want to headline.


Palladian said...
Thanks, Trooper. It's funny that the word "cologne" has evolved to mean "perfume for men". "Cologne" was one of the first alcohol-based fragrances, Eau De Cologne, so named because it allegedly originated in Cologne Germany. Eau de Cologne was worn by both men and women, as indeed were most fragrances up until the 1930s, in the sense that there was no specific "men's" fragrances marketed until 1934's "Pour Un Homme" composed by Ernest Daltroff, the genius perfumer behind the classic French perfume house Caron. Of course the majority of perfumes produced in the 20th century were composed and marketed for women, but it was never explicitly stated before as it was with "Pour Un Homme" (For A Man). Some of the great classic early modern perfumes, such as Guerlain's "Jicky", Houbigant's "Fougère Royale" and Coty's "Chypre" were ambiguously gendered creatures as well as being absolute, genre-defining masterpieces.In fact, many men's fragrances today descend from "Fougère Royale" (Royal Fern) which was composed in 1881. I have 2 bottles of it from the very early 20th century and in them you can smell the basis of the genre: an accord between a lavender material or materials and coumarin (1-benzopyran-2-one to you chemists). This was added to and manipulated to make a zillion variations and very few fougères today are simple enough to glimpse the purity of the original. About the only two I can think of are Dana's "Canoe" and "Brut", but both of those smell cheap, without the richness of the ancient "Fougère Royale". Brut used to be a lot better but unfortunately some key ingredients (nitromusks) were removed in the 80s or 90s because they made some European bureaucrats develop a mild rash or something. There's no good replacement for the nitromusks (one of which, musk ketone, smells as much like natural animal-sourced musk as any other single-moleculed material) so of course Brut today smells truncated, as do a lot of other classic perfumes.Another great, hairy shirtless fougère fragrance is "Azzaro pour Homme", an "aromatic" variation of the basic accord, which makes it spicier and complex. It's still wonderful, but definitely for a certain kind of man."Old Spice" was originally a women's perfume called "Early American Old Spice" made by the Shulton company, a purely American invention. This was a big flop and so it was given hormones which caused it to grow a mustache and become the classic "Old Spice". Sadly, this great scent has lost a bit of its oomph from facelifts and nanny-state interventions and cheapness. I have a bottle from the 50s and it smells fabulous, just like my grandfather. It's the same basic bottle of today, except better-made opaline glass with some ships printed on the side in blue. The stopper is a cork with a lead (!!!) cap that's the originator of the little plug on the bottle today.


"Stetson" is also surprisingly good, if a little cheap smelling (well, it's cheap!). Some perfume journalist friends of mine made the amazing discovery that "Stetson" is basically the same as Estée Lauder’s "Youth Dew" except with pictures of cowboys on the box. Smell them both... it's hilarious.I also think it's perfectly acceptable for men to wear "women's" fragrances and vice-versa. For instance some of my favorite fragrances to wear are marketed as "women's perfumes" : Guerlain's "Mitsouko", Dior's "Diorella", the aforementioned "Jicky". The right man in the right situation could even get away wearing "Angel".Dior's "Eau Sauvage" is a great masculine, composed by one of the greatest perfumers who ever lived, Edmond Roudnitska (he composed "Diorissimo", Rochas "Femme" among others). If you like it, "Diorella" is an even better variant on the theme. Hide the bottle if you're embarrassed to be wearing a "women's perfume", don't put on too much and people will compliment you.The aforementioned "Pour un Homme" by Caron is a great one too, a rich but simple combination of lavender and ambery vanilla notes. Sadly its producer, the once-great Caron has changed hands a few times and has basically destroyed most of their classic perfumes through incompetent reformulation in the service of cheapness. Perhaps they spared "Pour un Homme" from the carnage. It's a great, and manages to smell like you just put it on after a close morning shave for hours.Other fragrances for men that I recommend but don't have time to write about in depth: Chanel's "Pour Monsieur"; Guerlain's "Habit Rouge" and "Vetiver"; on the citric side of things, Guerlain's "Eau de Guerlain" and Balmain's "Eau de Monsieur Balmain"; Davidoff's "Cool Water" is very good but it is harmed by its association with its millions of terrible, cheap, offensive clones and the sleazeballs who wear them. "Azzaro Pour Homme" also shares this affliction, but not as much as "Cool Water" since most of the sleazeballs who wore Azzaro with gold chains and banlon shirts back in the day are dead.My other general advice for men regarding perfumes: don't wear too much of anything, don't try to be something you're not, and do not buy or wear anything whose name contains the words "energy", "xtreme", "blue", "sport", "turbo", or "fresh"

43 comments:

Trooper York said...

Well it might not be "straight" poop but you know what I mean.

Trooper York said...

The wife makes me wear Angel for Men.

Cause I can't smell like hot dogs and beer in the store.

dr kill said...

My Grandma used to have some stuff called Eau de Toilette in her banyo.

Damn, did that make us little bitter gun clingers laugh.

Darcy said...

Very interesting!

I like cologne on men, and I think most smell pretty good. I really liked a cologne by Paul Sebastien for a while. I can't stand it when anyone, male or female, is overly perfumed, though. Light, clean scents are nice.

There was one cologne that used to drive me crazy, though. Don't know if it's even made anymore, but it was called Jovan Musk Oil for Men. Very sexy.

Palladian said...

The desire for light and fresh scents is what's killed artistic perfumery.

chickelit said...

There was one cologne that used to drive me crazy, though. Don't know if it's even made anymore, but it was called Jovan Musk Oil for Men. Very sexy.

Darcy, you should put this link on your blog with an endorsement. Don't bloggers make money that way? :-)

jeff said...

I couldnt help but notice Palladian left off Hi-karate. What's up with that?
I had a ex that made me buy cool waters about 10 years ago, so I still have that. I also still have a bottle of old spice in the medicine cabinet. Splash a little on around fathers day and memorial day. Instant flashback to my dad who has been gone now 10 years. I think I will always have a bottle of it around. But still rocking the cool waters when necessary.

Unknown said...

I haven't worn cologne in years. My wife's sniffer is very sensitive and I'm thinking it would just saturate the poor thing. If she smells gas, and I don't, I call the utility company, because she's always right.

Darcy said...

Really, Palladian? I didn't know that. Hmm. I have no desire to kill artistic perfumery!

I'd love to learn more, actually. I mean besides reading this, to actually smell these different colognes. I'd probably change my mind about light, clean scents.

Jovan Musk wasn't exactly light.

Darcy said...

Ha! chickenlittle. (I still like it.)

ice160 said...

I love Pomegranate Noir by the English fragrance company, Jo Malone along with many of their other fragrances.
That "blogger lady" on the other channel once posted something about Premier Figuier by L’Artisan Parfumeur. It was a nice scent but a tiny bit powdery for my taste.
Palladian, how do you know so much about perfumes? Your essay is fascinating.

Dust Bunny Queen said...

I rarely wear perfume, but when I do I like Coco Chanel Mademoiselle.

In high school I went on a double date with a friend, her boyfriend and his friend. The guys must have doused themselves with an entire bottle of Jade East. I wanted to roll down the windows of the car....air! air! Hoooeey that stuff was strong.

Palladian said...

"That "blogger lady" on the other channel once posted something about Premier Figuier by L’Artisan Parfumeur. It was a nice scent but a tiny bit powdery for my taste."

I recommended it to her. We went perfume shopping in New York. It's a very nice fragrance, the first "fig leaf" perfume

"Palladian, how do you know so much about perfumes? Your essay is fascinating."

I've studied perfumery for about 5 years. It's my side line. I've actually formed a company and will be releasing a perfume probably this year.

Palladian said...

"Hoooeey that stuff was strong."

And nasty!

Palladian said...

"I'd love to learn more, actually. I mean besides reading this, to actually smell these different colognes. I'd probably change my mind about light, clean scents.

Jovan Musk wasn't exactly light."

Nope. But there are so many better sweet musk perfumes! If I have a blog commenter dinner at my place, I'll let you smell some great perfumes that will change your mind about things!

ice160 said...

Palladian,
Would you be so kind as to recommend a few perfumes for women? Perhaps some lesser known scents?

Looking forward to learning more about your new company.

After reading this original post, I kind of figured that you must have been the one to recommend the Premier Figuier to AA.

Trooper York said...

"I've studied perfumery for about 5 years. It's my side line. I've actually formed a company and will be releasing a perfume probably this year."

I hope to carry these perfumes exclusively in brownstone Brooklyn at Lee Lee's Valise.

Get cracking perfume boy.

Palladian said...

"I hope to carry these perfumes exclusively in brownstone Brooklyn at Lee Lee's Valise.

Get cracking perfume boy."

Believe me, you'll be the first to have the product in your hands :)

Darcy said...

Ooh! Blog commenter meetup @ Palladian's sounds fun!

Hoosier Daddy said...

I have always been a Drakkar Noir kind of guy. It's the one cologne that still gets Mrs. Hoosier hot and bothered.

Palladian said...

A friend tells me that in France, Drakkar Noir is almost entirely associated with lesbians.

Hoosier Daddy said...

A friend tells me that in France, Drakkar Noir is almost entirely associated with lesbians..

Hey I can be a lesbian. I have the haircut and everything. ;-)

Darcy said...

Aren't we all lesbians at TY?

chickelit said...

Aren't we all lesbians at TY?

Better lesbian than thespian.

Jason (the commenter) said...

One of my favorite singers, Shena Ringo, made an album called Lime, Semen, Chestnut Blossoms. I'd like something that smells like that.

Hoosier Daddy said...

Aren't we all lesbians at TY?.

No one likes a tease Darcy :-)

Well ok maybe just a little.

Darcy said...

Hee hee hee.

ChocolateGodzilla said...

Hahaha, Jason, that combination sounds like it's straight out of Moll Flanders' last weeks' dirty drawers.

The week after Fleet Week, of course.

Asante Samuel said...

Palladian- I have an old stinky Tee of Tom Brady's that might contain a few promising compounds for perfumery.

When young girls walk by the trunk of my Bentley they ovulate spontaneously.

Troop, better tell Plex to get with Dante's Miami Attorney. The case settled today, with D Stall doing 30 days in the hole only .

Trooper York said...

Hey Plax's attorney says he is good to go as he has a continuance until 2011. Man the wheels of justice grind slow baby.

Asante Samuel said...

Not so, Big Daddy- 90 days from bumper to bumper for D Stall. He B back for camp.

Lost his DL for life tho they say

Penny said...

I would love to hear some perfume recommendations, Palladian. Just to put you in the ballpark of what I have on my dresser...Bvlgari Extreme, Ombre Rose and Calvin Klein One.

Also, good luck with your perfume line. How cool is that! You must know what a treat it is for women to buy a new fragrance.

Penny said...

I forgot to add Cool Water.

Darcy said...

I've worn the same perfume for a long, long time. I have tried other fragrances, but I always come back to the same one. It's very inexpensive as it turns out, but I'd pay a lot more for something I liked better. Estee Lauder's "Beautiful". It just really smells good to me and I get a ton of compliments on it.

Palladian said...

"Also, good luck with your perfume line. How cool is that! You must know what a treat it is for women to buy a new fragrance."

Thanks!

I'll post my recommendations for fragrances for women in a moment.

Christy said...

Yes, good luck with your new venture, Palladian. I've been wearing Joy for years, even when it was hard to find (pre-internet) but if you're doing a new woman's scent, I'll give it a shot, er, dab. What's its base? Or can you say, yet?

Penny said...

I would venture a guess that as much time goes into designing the perfume bottle as goes into the perfume itself. Many our extraordinarily beautiful.

chickelit said...

I rely on the scent of Mennen-just enough to mask my own musk.

ChocolateGodzilla said...

Would it be too crude to ask if anyone but Trooper knows-

what it is, placed behind a woman's ears, that best attracts men?

chickelit said...

I meant the stick, not roll on and not out of a bottle.

C.G.
Can't speak for others, but for me it's what's between the ears and not behind them :)

Palladian said...

"what it is, placed behind a woman's ears, that best attracts men?"

Cocaine?

Unknown said...

what it is, placed behind a woman's ears, that best attracts men?

His knees.

blake said...

I believe the classic answer is "her ankles".

Ahhh. So this is where the cool kids are hanging out.

And I'm late to the party as usual.