Tuesday, June 30, 2009

I was sorry we had to skip Nathans


I mean I love Nathans. But we had two ten year olds with us and I didn't want them to get sick and barf all over the car on the ride home. Plus we couldn't buy it and take it home because it takes about half an hour and the stuff would get cold.

I remember when I was a kid me and my buddies would take a towel and go on the F train to Coney Island and spend the day on the beach. We would make a Nathan's run and get some hot dogs. Man they always tasted salty and greasy and great. The best ones was when the sweat of the girl behind the grill would run down her nose and drip on the dogs on the grill. You would flirt with her and say "Hey Foxy your dripping all over my dog." "You know I be dripping sugar." "Oh yeah Baby! You know what they say about Irish guys ain't true.... and...and.." Oh sorry I had a flashback.

Anyway speaking of that the clams are pretty great too!

12 comments:

blake said...

Can you imagine that today? There'd be lawsuits and health and safety inspectors, etc.

I've never cared for this practice of food preparers wearing latex gloves.

I'm sure the oils in the human hand--a clean one, now, let's not get carried away--contribute to a food's taste.

Hoosier Daddy said...

Sauce for the goose as the saying goes.

The Dude said...

What did they say, something along the lines of "You are mistakenly using 'your' when you meant to use 'you're'"? Those whacky Irish - faith and begorrah...

Peter V. Bella said...

Like the fish taco, the bearded clams are always great!

Penny said...

Troop is working up one ferocious appetite there.

ricpic said...

Irishmen have nothing to worry about in the, uh...hog department. Now Jews on the other hand...

blake said...

Aw, crap, I got it backwards.

I've been introducing myself as Seamus Goldstein.

ricpic said...

Re your joke, blake, Norman Mailer was so intent on getting away from being an unsexy Yid that he invented an alter-ego, Seamus O'Shaughnessy (sp?), just so he could plausibly (in his own mind) write out his fantasies about the wild "authentic" life. Of course it's all bunk: Irishmen have just as many hangups as Jews, only of a slightly different order. But most everyone thinks "the other" leads a truer life.

john said...

Trooper -

OT, but why did Althouse remove you from her blogroll? Inadvertent, or something more sinister?

john said...

Found it, just had to scroll down past Adrienne B and Chuck Conners.

chickelit said...

Come back, Shane!

Simon said...

I've only ever heard of Nathan's through How I Met Your Mother (the "Barney ran the marathon" episode). They don't have them out here in America! ;)