Monday, June 29, 2009

Return with me to the Grand Hotel.


Grusinskaya: Can you imagine a hundred girls in the ballet school, each thinking she would become the most famous dancer in all the world? I was ambitious then. We were drilled like little soldiers. No rest, no stopping. I was little, slim, but hard as a diamond. Then I became famous and - But why am I telling you all this? Last night, I didn't know you at all. Who are you, really? Baron Felix von Geigern: What?
Grusinskaya: I don't even know your name.
Baron Felix von Geigern: [laughs]I go by many names. My real name is Felix Benvenuto Freihern von Geigern. My mother called me "Flix". But you can call me Jeremy.
Grusinskaya: [joyously] No! Flix! Oh, that's sweet. And how do you live? And what kind of a person are you?
Baron Felix von Geigern: I'm a prodigal son, the black sheep of a white flock. I shall die on the gallows. I live my day tormenting people on the internet by posting vile obscenities and foolish propaganda. Anything I can do to destroy intelligent conversation makes me smile.
Grusinskaya: Why you are wonderful. You’re wit is beyond compare. I so love how you can dominate any conversation and how you have had every job anyone would ever mention. You are so talented. It almost makes me regret my engagement. Sigh. You must leave me. I want to be alone. I think I have never been so tired in my life.
Baron Felix von Geigern: Never fear my little linzer torte. If you are seen in my company often enough you will surely soon be all alone.
(Grand Hotel, 1932)

1 comment:

blake said...

This is one o' them there allegorical thingies.

You know. It's secr'tly 'bout global warmin'.