Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Hey that's a meaty subject!


Over here at Trooper York we don't talk much politics. At least not explicitly. We like to be oblique and obscure and off center. Straight political pronouncements are kinda boring. It doesn't take much talent to say "I hate Iranians and the political situation going on over there." But a post about some stupid election like the Grammy's or the Oscars or the baseball All-Star game can comment on the situation without being too explicit. I like to call it a "Meataphor." You know a metaphor with a lot of meat on it.


Now sometimes it is too Dennis Millery and obscure but I count on Ruth Anne to point out what I am talking about. It is much easier to plop it into comments on a thread that sets up a premise. You see comedy requires a set-up, a joke and a punchline. It's hard to skip a step. But most of your meatheads seem to be able to follow it and that's really cool. I mean it's not rocket science.


The other thing I am sorta proud of is the continuing series. If you hook on a tag you can see that some of them have gotten pretty long and involved. They were written in the moment so the meaning might be obscure. But hey that happens with a metaphor. If it sits around too long it goes bad.


So dig in. Have some meat.

5 comments:

Jason (the commenter) said...

Straight political pronouncements are kinda boring.

I would get in trouble if said something like that.

Trooper York said...

Only with nerds. Just don't comment at boring heads TV.

jeff said...

I just saw the pictures of the steaks. After that it was like the adults in Peanuts typing. I just read Whaaa whaaa whaaa whaaa.

Anonymous said...

My business partner called me one day to tell me that ribeye were on sale from our food distributor. $13.00 for a twenty-five pound case. I said there's no way that can be right. He insisted it was correct. So we bought two cases.

When they came in, I took my case home that night after we closed the restaurant, fired up the grill at midnight, and cooked one of those puppies. Man, it was good.

In the morning, my partner called and said that he had made a mistake--the steaks were $13.00 per pound...did I want to send them back? Dumbass.

On a serious note, I think that a large part of the appeal here at Trooper York's Palace is that nobody here really takes himself/herself very seriously. I mean, if you can't laugh at yourself, you don't deserve to laugh at anything on this planet. Nothing.

Other bloggers become self-important and begin to take themselves way too seriously, and can't take criticism. Charles Johnson over at Little Green Footballs is in a free fall over evolution.

This place is comfy, without pretension or condescension. We can sit around, scratch ourselves, laugh at each other, belch, drink too much, eat too much, and vote on things that really matter.

Trooper York said...

Thanks Windbag.

You know after I found the photo I went out and bought some steaks and fired up the grill last night. I made a fresh pasta salad and grilled some corn on the cob. With watermelon and vodka for desert. Yummy.