Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Remembrance of Things Pabst


So yesterday the wife, the daughter and granddaughter all went into the city to fix the laptop at Best Buy. You see they have these Geek Squad guys that fix you up when you stuff goes on the fritz.

Anyway I was at work on Long Island and they called me when I was on the way home. They had a nice dinner in the city while they were waiting for the computer to get fixed and then took a cab that left them off at the Barnes and Noble all the way up Court St. so the baby could pick out some books. Then they decided to go to the Chocolate Room on Court St for desert and they wanted me to meet them there.


Now I had successfully avoided going there ever since it opened as the wife loves chocolate and me I am not a big sweets guy. Even though I had pie and cake polls I really prefer a sandwich or a big bowl of pasta. But I was out voted so I met them there.


Now what it the gimmick is that it is set up like a bar but it is only for dessert. They have a wine and beer licenses so they sell "beer floats" which is a beer with a couple of scoops of ice cream in it. We didn't order that but we ordered a desert wine that had a chocolate base to it. Let me tell you it was pretty horrible. It was a red wine but the heavy chocolate taste just didn't cut it. Maybe if we had some sharp cheese and fruit and crackers to cut it with it might have worked but I just didn't get it. We each had a big desert though and when it was all said and done I went for about eighty bucks. On desert. But the kids were happy and that's all that counts.


When we got home I had a couple of grilled cheese sandwiches. Heaven.

6 comments:

chickelit said...

Grilled cheese and tomato soup: my favorite comfort food.

Unknown said...

I had this Guinness milkshake at the Alamo Drafthouse, a movie theater that provides dinner and drink service at your seat. It only uses 4 ounces of beer per glass, so it's not something you're going to get drunk on; it's there purely for flavor. It wasn't bad, really, but the ice cream they use is a local favorite that really stands up well on its own, and I'd be just as content with the same milkshake without the beer. Still, it was worth the try.

jeff said...

I would have ordered the beer, hold the ice cream. Or conversely, the ice cream, hold the beer. Depending on my mood of course.

Trooper York said...

That's what I thought about the beer float. I mean I like root beer floats so maybe it would have been cool. It had to be better than the wine for crying out loud.

Unknown said...

Oh, believe me, if I didn't already like the beer and the ice cream separately, I would never have tried them together. I did conclude, however, that they are best enjoyed separately.

blake said...

There was a movie--1981, I think--called Cannery Row, loosely based on the John Steinbeck story, with Nick Nolte and Debra Winger.

I liked it a lot.

There was a beer milkshake in it. Apparently, not tasty.