Monday, June 29, 2009

Well it all went great.


So the communion went off perfectly. I got everyone there one time which was what was really worrying me because I am the only "morning" person. When I go to wake them up if I am lucky they only throw a pillow at me and not a shoe or a book. But everyone was excited and got ready on time.


As we walked the three blocks to the church all the yuppie scum liberal hipster doufous had a smile on their face because my granddaughter looked so beautiful in her regalia. We went full bore Brooklyn old school with the veil and the crown and the dress and the little socks and the shoes and the works basically. A friend of mine from back in the day has a little shop on Degraw street that only sells communion and baptism stuff. So we were able to get everything we needed in one spot.


The whole family went to the front of the church and Father Chris was nice enough to announce that she was getting her first communion. She went up first and then got a big round of applause. I think a lot of the older women remember their first communion and most of the people in the church came up to congratulate her. She was very happy.


Then we went back to house where we had a big cookout in the yard. I was running around filling drinks and making steaks and burgers and sausage and peppers. Everybody really put on the feed bag.


Now the guy who does the Communion portraits was busy all weekend taking graduation photos of Bishop Kearny's class. So he was real busy but as a favor he agreed to come back at the end of the day to his studio for us to take the traditional shots. So we had to walk back up Court St at 5pm to take the photo's. Now lots of people where hanging out at the sidewalk cafes and what not and they were also smiling and congratulate us as we walked up the street. I think a lot of people want to go back to the old ways but don't want to do the work that it entails.


Cause let me tell you it was a lot of work. I was bushed. As soon as we got back I sacked out and didn't get up till this morning. I am still all aches and pains.


But the communion went off perfectly and that's what counts.


It's Grandpa's fault that he is so old.

10 comments:

Ruth Anne Adams said...

Awesome! The most important day in her life since her Baptism. You are a good grampa.

Time was when I could not look at a girl in FHC attire and not cry a little. This year, son makes his [next spring]. Girls are two years after that. I'm hoping Granny makes their dresses like she did their Baptismal gowns.

Trooper York said...

I notice a lot of women smiling as they walked past us. Maybe they were remembering their first communion. They were out on a Sunday morning walking their dog or getting brunch or jogging. But maybe that gave them a thought...maybe it might make them think about coming back to church.
At least I hope so.

An Edjamikated Redneck said...

Troop, I know the feeling. Ain't nuthin' more bushed than Grandpa the day after the Grandaughter leaves.

You talk about the old days, well my son is living it.

Full pre-Vatican II Latin Mass Catholicism. Mass at 5:00 am on Sundays and Holydays, Confession every Saturday and kneeling for Communion.

I studied the Baltimore Catichism(?) in first Grade, but then Vatican II took over, so I never learned a word of Latin.

I wonder if the old days all seem so hard now because we're different people, or if we are different people because its not so hard anymore...

BirdieBob said...

Well done. I remember being touched when you told us your granddaughter wanted to have her First Communion with you in your traditional church and it sounds like it all went as everyone wanted. Let's hope we can all continue to learn from your granddaughter! :-)

Trooper York said...

I just know that I always do things old school and lots of people say they admire that, but then they take a short cut or ignore what the right thing to do is even if it smacks them right in the face. But you lead by example and if you influence the people around you than you are doing it right.

Trooper York said...

Plus there is cake and presents!

What more can ask for?

Darcy said...

Well done. Precious.

KCFleming said...

"I think a lot of people want to go back to the old ways but don't want to do the work that it entails."

Damnit if that ain't the best thing I've read in a month.

Christy said...

How lovely! Grandpa is a creator of wonderful memories.

blake said...

Well, there's the slippery slope, innit?

Once you've given up the hard, old ways, it's a challenge to go back.