Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Everyday people.

So I come out of LIRR and turn on my little transistor radio and it’s the end of fish oil commercial. What the hell. Do they play that crap all the time?

As approach the door there is this orthodox Jewish woman with about six kids including one with a carriage. She can’t figure out how to get through the revolving door, so I push the button on the side of the wall that opens the hidden glass door on the side. She come through with the kids and thanks me. She was in the process of asking this large Jamaican woman about how to get to the mall and I left them chattering as they went into building. Just everyday working people getting along.

So I get out onto Fort Green Place and the commercial is over and the song starts. It’s Sly and the Family Stone. Everyday People.

Sometimes I'm right, then I can be wrong
My own beliefs are in my songs
A butcher, a banker, a drummer and then
Makes no difference what group I'm in
I am everyday people


I like to think of myself as an everyman. I try to see the other guy’s point of view. To put myself in their shoes. Of course that means sometimes I have to tell them they are acting like a dick. Or sometimes I have to act like a dick. For dramatic effect of course. For example we had a situation with a vendor. The little girl who handles our account got all shook up because when she went to LA the designer got in her face because our stuff was ready but we didn’t take it yet. Now I had until October 30 to get it. She was freaking out on October 18. I told her I was definitely taking it but she calls the store and tells my workers that it’s an emergency. When I find out what it is about, I tell her it ain’t an emergency. If the fucking showroom burns down and my dresses burn up, now that’s a emergency. So I gave a piece of my mind. But I put myself in her shoes and told her I understood that she was in the middle. And I would be happy to yell at her boss or the designer himself. That’s me, I am everyday people.


Then it's the blue ones who can't accept
The green ones for living with
The black ones tryin' to be a skinny one
Different strokes for different folks
And so on and so on and scooby dooby dooby
Ooh sha sha
We gotta live together


I love to tease Mort on Althouse because he gets so sensitive but he is pretty good guy. A little touchy. And he hates the blue ones. He just can’t stand Smurfs. I saw him stab a Smurf with a fork just to see it die. But that’s a different song.

I am no better and neither are you
We're all the same whatever we do
You love me you hate me
You know me and then
Still can't figure out the scene I'm in
I am everyday people


One of the things I don’t like is when people try to fool you. You know what they are up to but they try to get over on you. It’s bad to be predictable. That’s why I try to shake it up now and then.

Then it's the new man
That doesn't like the short man
For being such a rich one
That will not help the poor one
Different strokes for different folks
And so on and so on scooby dooby dooby
Ooh sha sha
We got to live together


Do you think they named the TV show Different Strokes after this song? Gary Coleman is such a weird little dude. His parent screwed him over and spent all his money. I mean it must be really tough for him. Is he a midget or what? I think it must be better to be a full fledged midget rather than just a quasi-midget. I wonder if he got to bang Dana Palto?

There is a yellow one that won't
Accept the black one
That won't accept the red one
That won't accept the white one
Different strokes for different folks
And so on and so on and
Scooby dooby dooby
Ooh sha sha
I am everyday people


Did you know that there was a big rumor that Sly Stone was banging Doris Day when he was a big rock star. Back in the day. I bet Sly sits around and thinks to himself “Damn I used be into the Day back in the Day.” I remember talking about this with one of my teachers in high school and he got all pissed off. He said no way. If she was banging anyone, she was banging Rock Hudson. It’s funny the things you remember.

Scooby dooby dooby
Ooh sha sha
I am everyday people

2 comments:

Icepick said...

I saw him stab a Smurf with a fork just to see it die.

Hasn't everybody?

I wonder if he got to bang Dana Plato?

Hasn't everybody?

blake said...

Outis' avatar looks like a diagram of a uterus and fallopian tubes with a bat coming out of it.