Friday, October 17, 2008

I miss going to the Knick games.

I used to have season tickets to the New York Knickerbockers. Also to the Yankees and the Giants and the monthly fights at the Felt Forum. Of course that was when I was single.

I enjoyed the Knicks most of all because I went with my brother. I had the tickets for 18 years. The first year I bought them the were $12.50 per seat for a total cost of about $1200 for the year including membership in the bar and exhibitions and everything. We were really into it and went to two or three games a week. That was when the Knicks had Ewing and Oakley and were in contention. And every week you could have Bird or Magic or Jordan coming to the Garden. As the tickets got more expensive I used to sell some off to defray the costs. Sometimes I made a lot of money on them and actually paid off half the season by just selling off the Chicago games. I didn't care because I wanted to see the West Coast teams like Portland or Phoenix who only came in once a year.

Then I started dating my future wife and she started coming to a lot of games. She liked the experience but it was a lot different. When you a single guy you can wear old crappy clothes, go to the bar to get tanked up, walk to you seat with one minute before tip off and start screaming like a maniac.

You wife wants to go for a nice dinner. Then she needs time to go to the bathroom and wants you to wait outside for her. That makes you late so you always have to throw some asshole out of your seats. An argument usually ensues if only with the people who want you to sit down. Then she has to go to bathroom before we got on the Subway and that takes forever. We are always the last ones out of the Garden. Sometimes I was afraid we would get locked in.

Then 911 happened. They started searching you. You couldn't bring in a bag, even a handbag. I had to leave my briefcase across the street at my local pub for the bartender to hold for me while we watched the game. Then they let you bring in small pocketbooks. One night my wife goes "We have to go to Macy's (across the street from Madison Square Garden) because I have to buy some makeup." So I am not paying attention and she comes out with this little package. I say to her "What's in that."
"Face powder." "You do realize that they just sent anthrax to several people and you will never get that into the garden?" "Ut-oh." "Let's go leave it at the bar."

So the game became a much less pleasant experience. Then they trade Ewing and the team started to go down hill. I couldn't sell any of the tickets. Sell them, I couldn't even give them away. They had increase to $75 a ticket or $150 a game. So I finally had to give them up. They email me or call me every week trying to sell me some tickets. But they just make it too hard.

But I miss going to the Knick games.

No comments: