Wednesday, October 15, 2008

I picked up two great new novels today: The Given Day by Dennis Lehane and The Devils Brood by Sharon Kay Penman.

I picked up two books today to read after the deadline. Both of them look like great reads.

The Given Day by Dennis Lehane which is about the Boston Police strike and shapes up to be a great read. He is a superior mystery writer who wrote the books that became the movies Mystic River and Gone Baby Gone. I hear that they are making a movie out of his insane asylum book Shutter Island and that should be pretty good. Lehane did some yeoman work on the last season of the Wire on HBO. He wrote all the dialogue where the corner boys went “ Yo man.”

Then I picked up Sharon Kay Penman’s latest in the trilogy about Henry II and Eleanor of Aquitaine called “The Devil’s Brood.” A story about all of the familiar characters like Richard the Lionhearted and his wimpy brother John. You know the time of Robin Hood and all that jazz. Her historical books are really wonderful reading. My favorite of her’s is of course The Sunne in Splendor which is the story of Richard III
told in a much more sympathetic way than old Billy Shakespeare. In any event all of her books are well worth reading if you are a student of history.

I have some stuff to read on the train. Hooray!!!!

1 comment:

Small Town Big City said...

Hey, just read your blog for the first time. I hope you enjoy the GIVEN DAY by Lehane. I actually work with Lehane on this new book. And I’m a big fan of it (even before I started working with Dennis). Would you be willing to add this link to your post? The link let’s your fans read a chunk of THE GIVEN DAY online. It’s pretty cool.

http://browseinside.harpercollins.com/index.aspx?isbn13=9780688163181&wt.mc_id=pub_wm_av