Saturday, October 18, 2008

My top ten sandwiches.

I finally got to eat lunch at about 5pm today as the store was rockin' and I was thinking about sandwiches. Here is a reprise of my top ten sandwiches that I had posted on Althouse some time ago:

My top ten sandwiches of all time.

10. Ham and cheese from Mastellone’s deli. Served on crusty Italian bread with mayo lettuce, tomato and red peppers in vinegar, we use the finest Boars Head ham together with fresh mozzarella.

9. Roast beef au juis from Brennan’s and Carr in Flatbush. Rare roast beef on a Kaiser roll with dipping juice. Heaven.

8. Liverwurst on a hard Kaiser roll from that German Deli whose name I forget in Maspeth Queens. Served with raw onion and spicy mustard. Great with Yoo-hoo.

7 Eggplant parmigiana from the Spumoni Gardens in Bensonhurst. I love the way they toast the bread just this side of burned. Have some Spumoni for dessert.

6. Pastrami on rye from Katz’s deli. What more do I need to say. Comfort food to the max. Don't let the slicer guys give you any crap.

5. Tuna salad from Scotty’s diner on Lexington. Have it with lettuce, tomato and mayo served on a hard roll. The hint of lemon, onion and the chopped celery makes it oh so good.

4. Meatball Parmigiana from Casa Rosa on Court St. Firm juicy meatballs with lots of sauce with fresh mozzarella and a dusting of pecorino Romano. Yummy.

3. Burgers from Suspenders on Broadway. A juicy burger served on a hard roll made up of fresh ground meat hand molded into a half pound burger. Get it with fresh mozzarella, fried onions and mushrooms.

2. A panele sandwich from Fernandos on Union St. between Hicks and Columbia. A panele is chick peas made into a flat pancake which is deep fried and served on a hard crusty seeded role with ricotta and shaved hard provolone. Often served as a potato/panele special in which three potato croquets are added to this heavenly mix. Have it with a rice ball and a frosty mug of Manhattan Special Espresso soda.

1.Potato and eggs the way my mom makes. French fried potato’s coated with eggs served on a crusty piece of Italian bread with salt, pepper and a little pecorino romano. The best. Best with a big pot of coffee. Have lots of napkins. It’s greasy but delicious.

6 comments:

I'm Full of Soup said...

Shit now you nade me hungry and I just ate. How can I lose 15 lbs when you write about great food?

blake said...

Ooh. I've never even heard of potato & eggs, but it sounds good.

Trooper York said...

That the best sandwich you can make. First you make some fries in olive oil. But not cottage fries, you have to take all the skin off. Fri it up and when they are done pour about four scrambled eggs over them. Turn it once. Sprinkle on some pecorino Romano or parmesan cheese. Serve on a loaf of Italian bread with the white of the bread pulled out. Put on some salt and pepper. Some people put ketchup on it, but I like it plain.

I grew up on that.

blake said...

I'll have to give it a try.

Yeesh. Blogger is wonky these past few days.

Trooper York said...

I have gone on Modzilla and it seems to work much better except for the videos.

blake said...

Yeah, I'm using Firefox. You can handle the flash video problem by installing FlashBlock (Tools/AddOns then search for it).