Thursday, October 16, 2008

Lehane's new book The Given Day is great so far.

Blogging is weird. I happened to mention in a post that I had picked up Dennis Lehane's new book "The Given Day" which is about the Boston Police strike. So one of the publiscist for the book read the post and commented. She gave me a link where you can read a few free chapters. This is the link:

http://browseinside.harpercollins.com/index.aspx?isbn13=9780688163181&wt.mc_id=pub_wm_av

It's pretty funny that Ii was complaining about free chapters and some one comes to give out info for the exact same thing. I guess that is the new marketing ploy.

Anyway the book is full of interesting characters, especially real life ones like Babe Ruth and Calvin Coolidge and J Edgar Hoover. It is in an especially interesting time for a novel. The years at the end of World War 1 which is a mystery to most Americans. So far it has been a lot of fun and I highly recomend it. Lehane is a very talented writer.

6 comments:

Hoosier Daddy said...

Troop

Took your advice and picked up the Stirling book, Island in a Sea of Time. Heading off to Disney World tomorrow with the family and need something to read in the down time.

Trooper York said...

Good stuff. It is a little politically correct in parts but it is very interesting. The hero is a "lesbian" captain of a Coast Guard ship caught up in the storm. Well one of the heros anyway, but keep your eye on William Walker.

knox said...

I just read "A Drink Before the War" a couple months ago and enjoyed it. Reminded me of George Pelecanos, who I also like. Although sometimes he gets too politically correct. His book "The Night Gardener" really annoyed me... you're waiting through the whole book for the conclusion to a big murder mystery... and instead you end up literally with a bunch of preaching about bigotry, etc. Y A W N

Trooper York said...

My favorite George Pelecanos novel is King Suckerman which gives you the feel of what the '70's were like. I remember going with my dad to his weekend job doing the books for a furniture store in Bed Stuy and man that was just what it was like. You have great taste Knox.

Hoosier Daddy said...

Troop,

If you haven't read him yet, John Scalzi's Old Man's War and Ghost Brigades are very good. Don't bother with the next in the series as they're horrid. Ghost Brigades is a fitting ending to a great concept and leave it at that.

I'll let you know my thoughts on Island when I get back from The Mouse. Thanks again for the tip.

Trooper York said...

I have read both of those books Hoosier and I agree completely. Island in the Sea of Time is the first book of a trilogy and it is not as good as the middle one but still a nice way to pass a flight.
The Lehane book is turning out to be great.