Saturday, October 18, 2008

How people can get on your nerves.

Hanleys the bar on Court Street where we go now and then set up a separate brick oven pizza place. They only make three kinds of pizza's that the serve on individual cutting boards. Margerhita, a spinach and goat cheese, and a clam pie. Eeeech.

Anyway I took my cousin and his daughter and the wife and the girls from the store for pizza. Now we have been going there a lot in the past few weeks because it's easy and they serve until midnight so we can get a meal late. Sometimes when we are there on Wednesday or Thursday we are their only customers. So I do what I usually do and got to know the guy who makes the pizza. I was busing his balls because they don't have mushrooms or sausage yet because he is still learning how to cook in the wood burning oven.

So the bartender girl who doubles as the waitress runs out from behind the bar to set up a couple of tables for us. She loves us because as usual I have over tipped.
She gets us seated and knows our drink orders, a bottle of sirazh. Actually two bottles since there are a lot of us. I give the chef guy who is behind a short wall across the room the high sign to start margherita pizzas for everyone. So everything is cool right. Wrong.

They have a waitress tonight. A new girl. She must be banging the owner. She has to be banging somebody because she has no idea what she's doing. She insits that she has to give everyone the menu. I said I already ordered. She said I can't do that. I said you wanna bet. We start going back and forth. Finally she agrees to go check on it and finds out that I had put in the order while she was fucking off somewhere. Anyway she disappears and the pizza guy brings us the pizza and the bartender brings us more drinks. But we don't see this bitch until we are mostly through the meal and she comes over and asks if we need anything. I mean seriously. WTF.

I always treat my waiters or waitresses great. I tip really well and will understand that it is often not their fault when the kitchen messes up if they try to fix it. But I don't really want to get in an argument with someone who knows less about how their restaurant works than I do. It's after a long hard day, no a long hard week. Just try not to be belligerent towards you customers ya know. It takes very little to keep me happy.

How she is going to survive is beyond me. I sure hope she is banging someone to keep her job.

10 comments:

reader_iam said...

clam pie

Isn't that sort of redundant, like a cat with four ears?

---

Also, a la Palladian, drinks of what?

---

(Am I getting annoying yet?)

reader_iam said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
reader_iam said...

Whoops, wrong post.

Trooper York said...

The clam pie is pretty disgusting. A pizza made with clam sauce. I don't know what they are thinking.

I'm Full of Soup said...

Did you bet the Giants today? I don't care what the spread is- they will beat it.

Trooper York said...

I took the Giants. But they might not cover.

blake said...

Goat cheese and spinach is probably not bad.

But no straight cheese or pepperoni?

Trooper York said...

No it is weird. The pizza guy is trying hard and he doesn't want to screw up. I told him I would bring my own mushrooms and sausage and he could charge me corkage.

He told me to go fuck myself.

That's why I like that place.

Trooper York said...

Plus the spinach he puts on is really over the top. It is this huge pile of stuff that makes it look like a garden salad. He knows I am a good customer so he wants to give me extra, but sometimes less is more.

But I must admit that this is first time I ever got a buyback with a pizza. One night we each had one but were still hungry. So we ordered one more to split and the go "On the house." Pretty cool.

blake said...

Oh. Yeah, you can't overdo it. But I've had some pizza with feta and a little spinach that worked. A white pizza can be nice.