Wednesday, November 5, 2008

The Devils Brood is Pretty cool.

I have been enjoying the Devils Brood by Sharon Kay Penman which the story of King Henry and Eleanor of Aquitaine and her sons who include Richard the Lion Heart and John Lackland from Robin Hood fame. It is a pretty good read, but a little too slow moving for my taste. Her earlier works are much more entertaining particularly the mystery series she set in the same time frame. I think she got a little solemn with this one because of the territory but I haven't finished it yet.

One of the best books I have ever read in this genre of historical fiction is King Hereafter by Dorothy Dunnett. This is the story of Thorfinn, Earl of Orkney, who she posits as the actual Macbeth from Shakespeare's play. This is as good as it gets and I highly recommend it for your reading pleasure.

No comments: