Tuesday, November 4, 2008

A glimpse of what the Obama administration is gonna look like.

So we have our trunk show and every thing is going great. Lots of happy customers buying clothes and meeting a new designer and picking out really cool business attire. But then we had a big problem.

Another very well know designer walked into the store. Now she is not really welcome because she is a notorious rip off artist. She came the second day we were open and saw the decor of our boutique in particular the black glass chandeliers which are our trademark. The very next day she put a picture of a chandelier on her website. She also had someone google our name and every time someone mentioned us the very next entry was someone touting her boutique as a great place to go. It was obviously a sock puppet who wanted to set her up to ride on our coat-tails. In any event this person is a notorious copy-cat and rip off artist especially in her "designs." And she was in our store.

Anyway the wife freaks out that she and her minions are in the store. Her two assistants are going to racks and taking out dresses and looking at them with an obvious thought to copy them. They might as well taken out a tap measure and camera. I told my wife that I would ask them to leave. I feel it is always best to be honest. Just say we don't want copy cats and people scouting our labels and styles. I have thrown out people before, including some one from Nordstroms who was shopping our store to find new lines. At least she bought some stuff. But there was one big problem with throwing these people out.

You see this copy cat designer and her minions were black. Now the fact that I have two employees who are black and part of the family doesn't matter. The fact that the photographer I hired is a black kid from Bed-Stuy who I am helping set up his business doesn't matter. I don't want any credit or applause for that. I treat people as people. But if I threw her ass out she would immediately claim it was because she was black not because she was a goddamn copycat and thief. So we wanted to avoid an incident.

Now the copycat only showed up because she knew the designer and she sort of told her she would be here. That was kind of stupid because we sell the designers stuff in our store and the copycat bitch doesn't carry her stuff at all. So why she wanted to piss off my wife by having her come I have no idea. But the designer went and had a quiet word with her and got her to leave. Crisis averted.

But you can be real sure that if I threw her out she would claim it was because she was black. Never mind that her minions had out a couple of dresses and did everything possible except photo them. I knew they were working up to it. So it was good that we got them to leave without have to deal with that shit. I sent her a email with the facts all laid out to let her know she is not welcome.

I just hope we don't have four years of walking on eggshells.

5 comments:

blake said...

Eh. I don't think the most grievous of race-baiters is going to be able to keep alive the racism thing for long.

I just don't see kids today as having that mindset. Hell, I saw very little of it when I was a kid.

Trooper York said...

It just that it sucks that you have to worry about every freakin thing. I want to just say what I think without worrying about political correctness. But I can't, especially with a business. So I watch my P's and Q's.

blake said...

I hear ya, man.

We do all kinds of racial jokes around here. We're white, black, yellow, brown...

The world doesn't have to be supercharged about race.

Hoosier Daddy said...

It just that it sucks that you have to worry about every freakin thing. I want to just say what I think without worrying about political correctness.

I follow the philosophy of Gunnery Sgt. Hartman:

If you ladies leave my island, if you survive recruit training, you will be a weapon. You will be a minister of death praying for war. But until that day you are pukes. You are the lowest form of life on Earth. You are not even human, fucking beings. You are nothing but unorganized grabastic pieces of amphibian shit. Because I am hard you will not like me. But the more you hate me the more you will learn. I am hard but I am fair. There is no racial bigotry here. I do not look down on niggers, kikes, wops or greasers. Here you are all equally worthless. And my orders are to weed out all non-hackers who do not pack the gear to serve in my beloved Corps. Do you maggots understand that?

LUCKY said...

Amen to what hoosier said or rather Gunny Hartman I grew up in the mountain west and the only racism I really saw was more geared toward Indians and Mexicans. I had thought the whole we're white and hate blacks and we're blacks and hate whites thing died out in the 1960's. However after spending two years in North Carolina I came to understand that people just can't come to the conclusion that we are all the same. I hate all kinds of people and its not based on their skin color, ethnic identification or culture. I normally hate people based upon them being who they are individualy. I understand I have certain biases in my life but they are not based on color they are based on other things that tend to piss me off.