Monday, November 10, 2008

Politics and family don't mix.

Since we opened the store, the wife and I have missed most of the family occasions. Most of those are on my wife's side as my family is a lot smaller and I don't like any of them anyway so it's not an issue. But we have missed two weddings and four communions and three confirmations in the past 17 months. But we get the full play by play.

Now we went to the wife's brothers kid actual Christening in the church because I think the actual Sacrament is what is important. Not the party afterward. There was a small get together with the immediate family that we attended. This Saturday was the big party where the ten grand uncles and aunts and the 37 cousins all came to admire the little baby. Now my brother in law went to every event as he always drove his mom and dad so most people wanted to reciprocate. He got married late in life and is very happy to have a daughter and rightfully wanted to show her off.

Anyway at the party a couple of the grand aunts were waxing poetic about how great it was that Obama was elected. They went on and on and on. Now the funny thing is that the are both very very religious Catholics who are Eucharistic Ministers and lectors and the whole deal. Well one of the cousins who is studying to be a priest couldn't take it anymore. He explained to them about Obama's position on abortion and the fact that he voted for the bill that allowed doctors to kill a baby that survived an abortion. They couldn't believe it. They said they never would have voted for him if they knew that. Why wasn't that brought out in the newspaper or by the McCain campaign. Good question.

I am just glad we didn't go. I don't like to discuss politics with people who are uninformed.

4 comments:

blake said...

Yeah, I read a couple of things about that, with solidly pro-life people not knowing whether to vote for McCain or O.

Huh. Too bad there's no way of getting information like this out there....

Meade said...

There was an election? No one even told me.

knox said...

I have a couple of pretty radical in-laws--you could safely call them Leftist. We avoid politics like the plague in their company. They didn't even know my husband and I were conservative for about 10 years... we simply kept silent while they prattled on. Anyway, family events with them used to be awful, but now they have matured a bit and mostly avoid the subject as well.

As to Obama's radical stance on abortion, Palin was the only one who came close to that issue. The McCain campaign was either almost unimaginably stupid, or didn't really want to win.

Ruth Anne Adams said...

'Invincible ignorance' will be the entry door to many a person. I suspect I might make my way in that doorway as well.