Friday, November 14, 2008

Holiday

Holiday!
So I am walking along the Fort Greene Place between the LIRR and what comes on but Holiday by Madonna. Which is pretty funny because I have made a couple of A-Rod and Madonna posts. It is a cold almost winter day and it is kinda depressing because we have to lay someone off tonight.

If we took a holiday
Took some time to celebrate
Just one day out of life
It would be, it would be so nice


Now she really isn’t working out and we were thinking about it after the first day, but we gave her eight weeks to give her a chance and it has been a fiasco. She asked to leave early three times in the first two weeks and asked for a day off. The last straw was when she asked me to take off Thanksgiving weekend. The busiest shopping weekend in the year in retail.

Everybody spread the word
We're gonna have a celebration
All across the world
In every nation
It's time for the good times
Forget about the bad times, oh yeah
One day to come together
To release the pressure
We need a holiday


We have been paying a really great salary with the view that this person was going to be management. With the economy the way it is we can’t justify paying her so much more than our other workers. She is really, really not pulling her weight. We thought we could trust her. That we could leave the store in her hands and go out to showrooms. We couldn’t even leave her alone at all. One night she forgot to blow out the candle. Another night she left the steamer on. But the main thing was her heart was not in it. You don’t stop in the middle of the day and start texting when there are customers in the store.

You can turn this world around
And bring back all of those happy days
Put your troubles down
It's time to celebrate
Let love shine
And we will find
A way to come together
And make things better
We need a holiday


Now I won’t throw someone to the wolves. I will give her enough hours to pay her rent and survive until she finds a new job. But when she started pushing to take off Thanksgiving weekend after working here a month, we knew it was really not going to work. We couldn’t trust her to just dump us at Christmas time. Plus she asked me instead of my wife. That’s the old let’s ask daddy because mommy will say no ploy. That’s not cool because my wife is the boss.

Holiday Celebrate
Holiday Celebrate


It is no fun when you have to lay someone off. It doesn’t feel like a Holiday.

6 comments:

Trooper York said...

I originally posted this on Wednesday night but had to take it down because we wimped out and didn't do it. But we sucked it up and did it on Thursday and it went a lot better than I expected. Her heart really wasn't in the job and she understood that so it made it a lot easier. That's a load off our mind.

Now if I can only find out a way to get rid of Bissage.

Zachary Sire said...

Speaking as someone who has been laid off many times, I can say that it really isn't that bad. I like getting laid.

Trooper York said...

It's hard when you have to do it to someone. But we gave a very soft landing and protect her until she finds a new job.

knox said...

You're pretty generous. If I was running my own business and pouring my heart and soul into it, I'd probably be pretty merciless with someone like that. Text-messaging in front of customers?

Trooper York said...

It is easy to be a tough guy on the internet but a lot harder to throw someone on the street. Plus I always give someone a chance to correct an error. If the behavior continues than you can dump them with a clear conscience.

blake said...

Yeah, that's a lot of no fun. My parents were both employees and managers.

Fortunately, I'm a slacker.