Sunday, September 22, 2013

Is he the new cafeteria Pope?



I really didn't like the spin that Father Chris put on the Pope's interview today at Mass. He emphasized how we can't just go by the rules but we have to look for something more. Then in the next breath he talked about how the collections are down and we need to get more money for the upkeep of the church.

All of this while the church was packed. Not because people were coming because they wanted to go to church on a beautiful fall day. No there were five kids getting baptisms. So all these knuckleheads show up and talk through the Mass and don't pay attention to what is going on. Are these the ones we need to look for when we are looking for something more than just the "rules." Maybe if there was a rule that you had to go to Mass on Sunday things would be looking up for the Church. Maybe if they enforced the rules Catholic politicians wouldn't be so quick to support abortion. Maybe if they enforced the rules we wouldn't be in the shape we are in. If you stand for everything you stand for nothing.

I really hope that Pope Francis was misinterpreted or mistranslated or something. Because if continues in this vein the church could lose even more people than left because of Pope John  XXIII.

7 comments:

Michael Haz said...

I went here and read the Pope's entire comments. They are quite different when read in context than the media excerpts want us to believe.

The C & E Catholics aren't going to read this. They are not that interested to begin with. For the rest of us who take faith seriously, my opinion is that Pope Francis is doing and saying good things. He has changed the tone of the papacy from politics to evangelization. This is dearly needed at a time when governmental secularism has achieved near-dominant power.

ricpic said...

...we can't just go by the rules...

Just?! Who manages to keep the Ten Commandments?

ndspinelli said...

Haz, Well said. I'm a fallen Catholic. I don't buy all the rules and never will. I'm just not a churchgoer. I focus my efforts on what I was taught, helping others and not seeking credit or praise. So, what any Pope says is not going to get me back to church unless they give out free ice cream or cake. But, I still have a place in my heart, I strongly considered the priesthood. My opinion is this guy is the real deal. But, I know many churchgoers will reject him. It will be interesting to see this evolve. Just remember the Lincoln quote about "You can please some of the people.."

As far as the money pitch. That's all I heard many times in my youth. Entire sermons would be about money. Our church put out a directory every year w/ how much folks gave. What horseshit!

Evi L. Bloggerlady said...

Read the interview, don't believe the lying liars in the media...

Evi L. Bloggerlady said...

"The confessor, for example, is always in danger of being either too much of a rigorist or too lax. Neither is merciful, because neither of them really takes responsibility for the person. The rigorist washes his hands so that he leaves it to the commandment. The loose minister washes his hands by simply saying, ‘This is not a sin’ or something like that. In pastoral ministry we must accompany people, and we must heal their wounds." Pope Francis

Evi L. Bloggerlady said...

Michael Haz is spot on. Read the whole interview and do not allow the media to spin on a few comments out of context.

Michael Haz said...

Nick, we're all fallen Catholics. Every one of us.