Wednesday, September 11, 2013

The Given Sacrafice

I just finished reading a silly little science fiction book called the "The Given Sacrifice" by one of my favorite authors SM Stirling. This was the culmination of a series of books set in a world where all technology was destroyed and people had to go back to a primitive medieval society without any machines. The series was pretty good and it all led up to this book.

Which was a big disappointment.

He wrapped the whole story up in a couple of paragraphs and ended it as if he was just tired of writing this series. Which I think he was in the end.

In the last chapter the King Rudi Mackenzie is killed in a silly little skirmish after besting all of his foes easily in the culminating battle. I would hope that he would have a better ending to such a long saga. But I think these guys get tired of their work and should hand it off to someone who is still enthusiastic about it.

It ended with a sad whimper.



4 comments:

Evi L. Bloggerlady said...

I read the Nantucket series (perfect at three books long) and the first have dozen of the emberverse series. I stopped reading Stirling because he could not land the damn plane (oh wait, their are no planes in the emberverse). Let me rephrase, it was obvious he did not have a clue of tying this thing together. Lost and the Seinfield finale were fucking Shakespeare compared to where it seemed Stirling was going.

And now you confirmed it for me. Thanks for saving me whatever the book costs.

Trooper York said...

You're welcome. I think a three book arc is perfect for him.

I am afraid that Eric Flint is having the same problem with the 1632
universe. But he took a unique approach. He had other authors collaborate or even write stand alone novels in the series that he would edit. And he encouraged fan fiction that he sometimes printed in the "Grantville Gazette." That keeps the enthusiasm going.

I highly recommend the 1632 series if you have not already read it. It is pretty damn good.

The Dude said...

E. P. - have you seen this? Because it's been that kind of day, and better living through chemistry.

Evi L. Bloggerlady said...

Sixty, that is a experiment worthy of much study and repeated testing and retesting. It seems only right.

I am sure Chick can come up with an appropriate testing protocol.