Friday, July 26, 2013

The RIfleman



Lucas McCain and son Mark rode into Northfolk right around noon. They had some chores to do and wanted to get them done so the could have time to get a nice dinner at the hotel and get home some time before dark. It was no fun cooking everyday for a widower and his son so they always looked forward to a steak and all the fixings when they went into town.

The got to the middle of town and got off their horses in front of the Sheriffs office. Micah Torrance can out of the doorway of his office. Micah was a grizzled old man who had been there and back. Looked like a lariat that had torn in two but had been mended. He had his limp and his scattergun as always.

"Hey Lucas boy. Hey Mark. You boys in town for dinner."
"Yes Micah but first we have to see Miz Hattie about some supplies. I need to pick up some bacon and flour and a little molasses. Oh yeah and a box of shells because I used up most of the ones I had when I killed five people in the last episode."

Suddenly there was a shout and a commotion down at the other end of street.

"What's going on Micah?"
"I don't know Lucas. Lets go down and take a look see."
"Mark you hang back. I don't want you to be to close to the action in case it turns ugly. Oh look it's Lonesome Larry. It has to be ugly."

When they got to end of the street they saw Lonesome Larry holding Paulie the sign painter face down in the horse through. Larry was not well liked in North Fork. You see he had moved there from Indiana when he married the spinster Miss Annie and moved into her farm. Nobody could believe she would get married. You see she drank. A passel full. And she was a mean drunk. She once went after Ed the Butcher when he got her order wrong and tried to cut off his man parts. She didn't seem too partial to man parts. We all wonder how Larry got past that. Most folks thought they reckoned that they were small and dainty. His man parts that is.

"That's enough Larry. Let him up."
"You stay out of this. You can't tell me what to do."
"I can Larry" replied Micah as he swung his scattergun over. "I'm telling to let him before he drowns."
"Damn it all to hell. He owes me money Micah. And I want it back. He is selling his signs and living high off the hog and he owes me money."

Paulie the sign painter slumped down on the floor. He was a large man. As big as a barrel. He was full bald and wore worn overalls and was a strange man. He never could talk to a lady and he was very friendly with some of the actors who passed through town. People called him a berdache which was a Sioux term that Mark didn't understand.

"You ok Paul" asked Lucas McCain." "Been better Lucas." "How much you owe him," "Thirty five cents." "What" exclaimed Micah "You try to kill a man for thirty five cents. Here. Here's your money. Now go back to that crazy old crone you married before I have to throw you in Jail."

Lucas lifted Paul up and dusted him off. Which was a chore because he weighed about 400 pounds.
"You  go on about your business and don't worry about that weasel. Being married to that woman is punishment enough for about thirty lifetimes."

Late at dinner Mark had a question.

"Pa why was Mr. House so mean to Paulie?
"Cause he  is different son. Some people talk a good game but they are all about money. And when someone is different they will try to take advantage of them and think no one will stop them. Paul is  a good man. But Mark there is just one thing and it is very important."
"What that's Pa?"
"Don't ever let him buy you candy and take you behind the barn. Ok."
"Thanks Pa. Let's have apple pie for dessert."
"Sure son. That will be great."

51 comments:

Evi L. Bloggerlady said...

Captured perfectly.

Evi L. Bloggerlady said...

Here is another version...

bagoh20 said...

And I thought I saw them all. Now I'm gonna have nightmares tonight.

Chip S. said...

Wait til Lucas finds out that the schoolmarm sent nekkid telegrams to his kid.

Evi L. Bloggerlady said...

Never go behind the barn with him!

rcocean said...

In next week episode:

Lucas asks Norfolk's new German Nurse to marry him. Finally, Mark will have a step-mom...

rcocean said...

Mark: But Pa, you said she was a crazy. Almost Troll like. Why Marriage?

Lucas: Do remember what happened to the other ten women I was engaged to?

Mark: You mean...

Lucas: Your learning son, your learning.

Evi L. Bloggerlady said...

This is for Lem and Freeman...

Evi L. Bloggerlady said...

My bad on the link. This is for Lem and Freeman...

MamaM said...

35 cents--it's all in the details!

bagoh20 said...

Paa, I don't think the 35 cents mattered to him much, and he sure was rubbing up hard up agin em when they was all wet. Seemed more friendly than angry. Just sayin.

Evi L. Bloggerlady said...

Matthew 18:21-35

MamaM said...

Now I'm gonna have nightmares tonight.

Wait til the new version of "Trip to the Groomers" comes out where an aging but peppy single lady makes the rounds visiting local shelters and pounds (including TY Home for Strays and The Other Pound) to check out the animals, open mouths, inspect teeth, and poke for balls in the hope of finding a fun-loving pup to groom as TOP dog, and take back home with her for endless games of panty tug.

Evi L. Bloggerlady said...

When Larry feeds...

MamaM said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
MamaM said...

Hey, Sixty Grit, if you get up early and feel like wandering about the yard with your morning brew and looking at Sign Language over at TOOP, ChipA has a good one about throwing sawdust into the flames!

(2nd comment under Gaslighting)

The Dude said...

Made me laugh, MamaM - I am still halfway asleep and I went over there and see some guy gesticulating in a way that suggests flames, or flaming or bouncing betties or something, so I come back here to see what I was supposed to find - oh yeah, tossing sawdust into a hot fire.

He would be more OW! OW! OW! doing it that way - I fill up the dust pan and toss that in from a good distance. That stuff blows up real good.

We garden gnomes would burst into flame like a freakin' Zeppelin were we not careful around fires, just sayin'.

Gaslight was on just the other day - saw a bit of it, but that's a bit too dark for me. I watched Mr. Hulot instead - I find, after seeing two of his movies, that I really like his work. He's like a Jerry Lewis with actual talent.

yashu said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
chickelit said...

Walter Brennan voice: "Dagnabit, Trooper...you done it agin!"

Evi L. Bloggerlady said...

Chickie: OMG! I can't get Stumpy's voice out of my head!

ndspinelli said...

Trooper, This is one of your best satires.

chickelit said...

rifle (verb):

1) To rifle through to search quickly through something such as a container or a group of objects in order to find or steal something

"She rifled through her closet looking for the dress."

2) to steal something

The Dude said...

Rifling - the lands and grooves that impart a spin to the projectile making it more accurate. See also smooth bore, AKA LSL or Ed the butcher.

Chuck is left-eyed. But he could shoot with either hand.

blake said...

Good advice.

Evi L. Bloggerlady said...

Troops parody is great!

Evi L. Bloggerlady said...

Blogger Fernando Covert said...
madawaskan

What Palladian did to me was disgusting. What he wanted to do to you was even more disgusting.

So I suppose we are even.

July 26, 2013 at 4:25 PM


Larry is going off again...

Evi L. Bloggerlady said...

Blogger Fernando Covert said...
Of course, there were also the out and out dipshits like CEO-MMP. Baron Zemo and Skunky Grits.

July 26, 2013 at 4:35 PM
Larry is his name!

Michael Haz said...

Fernando Covert should post under his real name, El Dickwado.

Chip S. said...

Someday--soon, I hope--I will stop taking the bait and reading that fucking dipshit's comments. Unfortunately, I haven't reached that more enlightened state of being yet.

Put aside the fact that he does nothing but cycle b/w wound-licking and name-calling; let's just take that as part of his sociopathy. There still remains the fact that his comments range from banal to utterly detached from reality, with "moronic" being the median quality level.

I've read this assclown's comments at TOP for a couple of years now, including the ones he made at LGM and Isthmus that his sunburned sot of a consort proudly posted on her own blog. Never--not one.single.time--was I impressed by anything he wrote. He is a master of stating well-worn, usually trite, observations as if they were brilliant, original insights. He is like a toddler who thinks he's making music when he pounds randomly on his toy xylophone.

I conclude that he must indeed be a grifter w/ a gift for saying things that lonely spinsters find flattering b/c a somewhat-accomplished law prof found him utterly charming, when to my eyes he is a talentless hack who thinks he's Hemingway.

He is an abuser not just of people, but of truth.

chickelit said...

I conclude that he must indeed be a grifter w/ a gift for saying things that lonely spinsters find flattering b/c a somewhat-accomplished law prof found him utterly charming, when to my eyes he is a talentless hack who thinks he's Hemingway.

Meade wrote "cunny foments" to her before she took his bait. It was all part of his "conline ourtship." Did anyone ever say he was eloquent?

The Dude said...

Silver tongued, perhaps?

Chip S. said...

Did anyone ever say he was eloquent?

Freeman Hunt recently called him an "all-star commenter". I've seen many people allude to some Golden Age when he made brilliant comments at TOP.

Not only have I never seen any, I can't even discern a capability in him for making them.

The Dude said...

Consider the source - Bethany is a sanctimonious scold who loves her some Althouse.

chickelit said...

Lem seems to be going all wobbly in his latest open thread post.

I really should back away.

Michael Haz said...

He sounds all Neville Chamberlain-y.

On the other hand, Lare said that it wasn't Lem's fault. So Lem should say thanks, and quit screwing with my blog.

Not gonna happen.

Michael Haz said...

Nice job again today Pollo. Protection' the borders.

MamaM said...

El Pollo, I just found the "Pumps Irony" chirbit. Another chicken dinner winner, where the bird sets out the goods for consumption.

chickelit said...

Thanks, MamaM. Ahnold was a new voice for me.

chickelit said...

I appreciate all the contagious contrition taking place over in Lem's thread. I'm thinking hard of who I owe an apology to.

Trooper York said...

Red Sox fans are just fuckin' pessimists.

I just hope that it was not a scam and that Lem will not close down to send the selected and protected few back to restricted commenting at Althouse.

I don't think his blog was the holding pen at the slaughterhouse as I don't think Chickie or Freeman Hunt or Pastafarian would have gone along with that.

Time will tell.

Trooper York said...

I just don't trust anything the grifter and the garden gnome have their hands on and I think they have their hands on Lem.

blake said...

Once again, I suggest a different landing place. I know Palladian mentioned doing it. Last night, I set up this:

An alternate place

That software there allows anyone to sign up, post content, comment, etc. "Signing up" can be linking a twitter or Facebook account, even. I used "bitmaelstorm" because I have it, but the blog could be hosted under any name.

I'm not campaigning for the job, but I'll do it. I've run communities for years, even when not involved in them, particularly. A new name expressly for this purpose would make sense, because then I could hand it off to someone else.

We could do something pokey, like Outhouse.com or Altlaws.com or SomethingAboutLarry.net, or something unrelated (which would probably smarter). "Diasporal" or "ALikelyGathering", maybe.

Just throwin' it out there.

There's a bunch of other kinds of software, too. I just like that this one had a variety of login choices, comment management, even chat. But it's one of many.

Trooper York said...

I think that is a good idea but we have to let Lem's blog play out first.

Maybe one of the other contributors could step in if it is too overwhelming for Lem.

blake said...

But how ya gonna keep Leisure Suit Larry out, regardless of who's in charge?

yashu said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Michael Haz said...

Blake, thirty minutes of keyboard-fu and the entire blog and its comments can be migrated to WordPress. WP has very good filters and blocking. Identify the target and it is evemore blocked.

Chennaul said...

Na for the love of Mike--set something else up.

blake said...

I thought about WordPress, too.

I just thought that pods people thing I put up had a nice multi-media, community thing, less single-person-bloggy.

I mean, I know you can do that with WP but I'm working on a different kind of community site with homegrown software, and I don't want to get too sidetracked. So, out of the box is good.

Chip S. said...

This has been a night to remember.

First, the pizza joint I went to ran out of dough three hours before closing time.

Then I came here and was directed to a another blog where the owner served up his balls on a platter.

I'm not sure which was more appalling.

Bleach Drinkers Curing Coronavirus Together said...

"I just don't trust anything the grifter and the garden gnome have their hands on and I think they have their hands on Lem."

"Then I came here and was directed to a another blog where the owner served up his balls on a platter.

I'm not sure which was more appalling."


You can both say that again. Amazing. Lem is pretty easily manipulated. I wouldn't doubt that the whole "Please Stop" post was written and emailed by Larry to Lem to post. I'd also not be surprised if Larry planted the whole apology seen in Little Lem's mind all along.

Oh well. Same old shenanigans x 10 this time. They're trying their hands with manipulation from afar. Crazy. Get used to the Larry and Lem Show, where Larry takes his commenting kicks out on the kids who he booted. Infinitely negative integrity points, and there's nothing anyone can do about it.

Chip S. said...

It's a transcript of another fucking hostage tape.

I wonder if Lem's nose is broken.