Friday, September 29, 2017

I went down a memory hole and I can't get back.....



Binges. Binge eating. Binge drinking. Binge watching. Binge reading. I like binges.

Since I have to watch what I eat and I can't really drink anymore I have to satisfy my craving by bing watching shows on Hulu and binge reading on my Kindle.

Lately I have been reading the novels of Griff Hosker. I found him on Amazon and started reading some of his series. They are like peanuts. You get one and you just want to keep going. I thought it was a good research project. Read someone who is a very successful genre writer that most people have not heard of but is still earning a great living. This dude is a couple of years younger than me and has published 90 novels! That's right 90! They all go for less than five bucks and seem to be pretty popular. Now don't get me wrong. They all sort of seem the same. Or the the same themes. He repeats himself a lot. The action scenes in paticular. But if you are a Game of Thrones fan and aren't into rape and incest it is decent escapist reading.

He seems to specialize in medieval England with series devoted to the Saxons, Normans, Vikings and the Plantagenets. A decent way to spend some time.

Recommended for what it is. A good value for the money.

4 comments:

chickelit said...

binge (n.)
1854, "drinking bout," also (v.) "drink heavily, soak up alcohol;" dialectal use of binge "soak" (a wooden vessel). Said to have been originally as a dialect word: Binge is noted in Evans' "Leicestershire Words, Phrases and Proverbs" (London, 1848) as a dialect verb for "To soak in water a wooden vessel, that would otherwise leak," to make the wood swell. He adds that it was extended locally to excessive drinking ("soaking"). Sense extended c. World War I to include eating as well as drinking. Related: Binged; binging. binge

I prefer the term "bender."

windbag said...

About twice a year I binge watch "The Sopranos." Love that show. Since my cataract surgery, I just can't seem to get into reading. Everything is too dark. I miss reading. I've got tons of books I've been meaning to get to, but haven't. What a drag it is getting old.

Trooper York said...

You can try audio books. The wife signed up for a service. Unfortunately she never seems to get around to listening.

You have kindle right? Even if you just get it as an app on your ipad. You can increase the font size so it is easy to read. I know I have it as large as possible. The screen is also pretty bright. You should check it out.

windbag said...

I might give it a go.