Thursday, June 16, 2016

Rest in peace Aridog.



As some you might know a valued contributor to this blog has passed. Richard Thompson who went by the handle Aridog passed after a long illness.

You will have remembered many of his no nonsense posts. Dick was a veteran and a hard headed realist.  But with all of that he was an idealist and had vast compassion for others. Especially people of other cultures and faiths. Sometimes when I would go off on a rant he would comment and make me stop and think about what I was saying. He was one of the view commenter's who was worthing listening to because he had walked the walk.

Getting to know someone on the internet can be tricky. Some people presume to know you and what you think. What you are. But we all many things. Not all of them are displayed in blog posts or comments. Don't get me wrong. You can tell a lot about a person. For example you can tell that Dick was a gentleman and a patriot. I especially loved  his stories of his time in the Service and his hard won experiences.

Dick was a generous and loyal friend. A family man. Above all a patriot. He will be sorely missed. There is one phrase I always think of when I think of Aridog: "We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."

Rest in peace my friend. God bless you and your family.

4 comments:

Ron said...

Much respect to him...and yes, RIP

Chip S. said...

Just checked in to see what was up in Trooperland, and am shocked and saddened by this news. Aridog was one of those rare commenters who raised other people's game by example. Certainly he had that effect on me, anyway.

Requiescat in pacem, Aridog, and may your family find consolation in their memories of you.

blake said...

How terrible. I'm just now seeing this, obviously, but I always liked Aridog.

meeteyez said...

you could try this out best replica designer dig this click this click for info click this site