Monday, October 20, 2008

How we get new stuff.

A lot of other stores wonder how we get new and interesting stuff for the store as opposed to all the old lady Mrs. Roper shit that every other plus store has. Well an example of what happens is what happened today.

There was a new line of clothing in our sizes of 10-28 who had truly horrible stuff. I mean the fabrics were crap, polyester blends that would make you want to puke. Anyway they kept chasing us in the show at Vegas, trying to give us their line sheets to order their stuff. We took it like the flyer's you get on the street for Popeye's chicken, you know you hold it just long enough to get to a garbage can and toss it. They stalked us. Hanging out a couple of booths away from where we were sitting and when we got up ran up and tried to get us to go to their table. But we managed to wiggle out of it. But they were chasing us up and down the aisle like it was fucking Benny Hill or something.

But today they came to the store. I walk in about 6 o'clock from my other job and my wife goes "They tracked us down." With a terrified look on her face. Sort of that look when Simon showed up at Althouse's house that time.

The owner and designer of the company were in the store trying to sell our line. The wife took it as long as she could and then called me out of the back to be the bad guy. That's my job.

I had to tell them that their fabrics were shit. I wasn't buying those shit poly fabrics from the established manufacturers so why would I buy it from a new company?

But they did show me something by being aggressive and coming to us. So I told them to come with some swatches and some dress bodies and we can see if we can strike a deal. The wife has to approve the fabric and body on a dress and we will take one to see how it goes. I will always give someone a shot. But on our terms. You never know. It might develop into something good. But it is a long, long way away from that right now.

1 comment:

Ruth Anne Adams said...

Sort of that look when Simon showed up at Althouse's house that time.


Mistah Rhett, you is bad.