Saturday, October 15, 2011

Problems of a shopkeeper.


Private sanitation was always a problem. You see the city mandates that if you have a commercial establishment you have to use private sanitation to pick up your trash. You have to have a sticker in the window or else you can get a $1000 fine for not having coverage.

When I opened the shop I asked around and got the name of one of the local guys. He does a lot of the small business and is a small business guy himself. Dom has one truck that always seems to break down. Or he couldn't get through because they were filming a movie or something. I have let him slide numerous times before because I really have only one small garbage bag and a couple of pieces of cardboard. But it is very discouraging to come in the next day and see the garbage right in front of your store. It also leaves you liable for a $500 fine for leaving it outside in front of your store. Now I have been really lucky and have not had a fine yet even thought it has been hit and miss the last week. So I have been calling Dom to find out what is going on.

He called me back today and told me he has his idiot nephew working the truck. He said that the bag in front of my store was too close to my next door neighbor so he didn't know if it was ours so he didn't pick it up. Now that is pure bullshit. They just missed the stop. Or ignored it. Or whatever. So I arranged a new spot for it. The fuckin douchebag mayor put a bike stand right in front of my shop and I told Dom I would put my garbage right next to it so his idiot nephew will know it is mine and he will pick it up. That should work. If they still have a truck that is.

I don't want to work with one of the big waste management companies if I don't have to.

When the Mafia ran the garbage routes they always picked up. No matter what. But times change. They cleaned up the industry and now they don't clean up on time.

Things change. And they get worse.

2 comments:

windbag said...

I have a dumpster on my property. There's only one trash pick-up service in town, so it's not a hard decision. They pick up twice a week. I throw everything and anything in the dumpster that I want to. No questions asked. I could dispose of a body and nobody would say anything. I've thrown away dead animals, a lawnmower, a refrigerator, furniture, and yard debris over the years. Never a peep about what's in there. Small town living is great.

Trooper York said...

I bet it is. It is great that I don't have to recycle either if I throw it in my commercial trash. The problem is you get a ticket for basiclly everything in NYC. The only thing that saves me is that my brother-in-law is a sanitation man and the guys on the route know it so they don't rat me out. It gives me a chance to take the trash back in if it doesn't get picked up.

But it is still a pain in the ass.