Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Sometimes they come back.


Yesterday we sort of took the day off and walked around the neighborhood. We stopped at a few stores to say hello and represent. You know how other people come into our store we want to stop by theirs to drop off a few schekels. It's only right.

We went to Barnes and Noble all the way up Court St and decided we were each going to get two books. Only two because we are planning to get kindles because the wife hates the idea that I have so many books lying around in stacks in the house. So we each picked out a couple of things.

The wife got one of her "Shopaholic" books by this broad Sophie Kinsella. She really enjoys her stuff so she also bought another book that was not part of the series.

I managed to snag the latest Robert B. Parker posthumously published Spencer novel called "Painted Ladies." It was a real quick read. I already finished it one day later. It was the standard plot. Spencer gets a case where his client is killed and he has to go against the grain and solve it. But the body count adds up. He kills three people in this book. When you add up all the people he has killed in the various Spencer books you are in Ted Bundy territory. Pretty unbelievable when you think about it but it is just entertaining fiction. You know like Obama' resume.

Anyhoo I enjoyed it but it is sad all the same. Since Mr. Parker has passed away earlier this year, his new books will be few and far between. Not that he will stop. Because with a genre author they always seem to find manuscripts left over that someone else will finish. Everyone from Robert E. Howard to Mickey Spillane to John D. MacDonald to Louis Lamour has someone hooked up with the estate to keep the gravy train rolling. I have no doubt that there are two or three Spencer books, a couple of Jesse Stone novels and one or two Westerns like Appaloosa left in his bibliography yet to come. So I look forward to them. I will buy them. But I wish that whoever picks up his mantle will vary the outline just a little.

But I have my doubts.

7 comments:

save_the_rustbelt said...

A ray of sunshine in an otherwise dreary month.

Troop, have you ever given Elmore Leonard a read? Every book stands alone, and he creates the most vivid and crazy characters. Just read "Riding the Rap" the source of the tv series Justified.

ricpic said...

I read a very strange but true book recently: The Wagon, by Martin Prieb. Non-fiction. Musings of a Chicago cop. You might like it.

Trooper York said...

I am a big Elmore Leonard fan. Both of his mystery and his westerns.

I have pretty much every book he has ever written in one way or another.

Trooper York said...

I highly recomend the Travis Megee Novels by John D. MacDonald if you can find them. They might be out of print but they are in the same vein as Elmore Leonard or Robert B. Parker.

Titus said...

I am reading Marilyn's diaries-powerful.

Trooper York said...

I know. What a crazy life she had living with the Munsters.

Did you know that Herman used to touch her?

Ralph L said...

Frank Herbert's son took over the Dune franchise, and it looks like Dick Francis' son will do likewise.