Friday, January 7, 2011

Visting with the Captain.


Captain Morgan that is on St Maartens. They had a pirate motif on a lot of the islands as I guess that was were a lot of the old timey pirates liked to hang out.

They even had a shrine to Manny Sanguillen.

Anyway the way they touted this "duty free" and "tax free" liquor every where we went was a ripoff. Yeah you don't pay tax when you buy it but the ship confiscates it and records what you buy and gives it to you just before you disembark. For two reasons. One is that they want you to buy from their duty free shop. That they don't hold from you....you just take it. And two is that anything over one free liter is taxed by US Customs. I only bought what I was gonna drink that night. When I came on board the guy would go...."Check in that bottle at the table with the red tablecloth" and I would go "Right chief you got it" and walk right on the elevator and go to my room and start mixing up the Cuba Libre's.

I felt like a Pirate.

2 comments:

chickelit said...

On my Carnival Cruise over Thanksgiving I drank a shot of Amaretto after dinner every night. I thought about buying a bottle on board but I'm glad I didn't. The disaronno stuff was $2 cheaper with tax at BEVMO back here.

Now I can make Darcy's amaretto chicken recipe too.

Anonymous said...

cuba libre....mmmmmm good.