Sunday, February 8, 2015

Finally something the Pope and I agree on.....But is he Catholic?

The Guardian February 5, 2015  Pope Francis  told parents it is OK to spank their children to discipline them – as long as their dignity is maintained.
Francis made the remarks this week during his weekly general audience, which was devoted to the role of fathers in the family.
Francis outlined the traits of a good father: one who forgives but is able to “correct with firmness” while not discouraging the child.
“One time, I heard a father in a meeting with married couples say ‘I sometimes have to smack my children a bit, but never in the face so as to not humiliate them’,” Francis said.
“How beautiful.” he added. “He knows the sense of dignity! He has to punish them but does it justly and moves on.”
Finally something we can agree on. Give those little bastards a couple of smacks for crying out loud. 
"Hey if you want to cry I can give you something to cry about!"
"GET OFF OF MY LAWN!"


8 comments:

chickelit said...

Simon had some brilliant analyses of Francis the other night, posted at the olde Salon.

ndspinelli said...

Shilling for Blondie is unseemly.

chickelit said...

Actually, I was shilling for Simon. I think Simon still has a password for this club.

ndspinelli said...

Who the fuck is Simon? There are so many old fuckers you guys talk about. I miss Mama, Darcy, blake, Sixty to name a few. I keep in touch w/ Sixty via email. He's a great help to my bride.

MamaM said...

Actually, I was shilling for Simon.

Actually, chickelit, I was going to ask for the link, before seemliness came into question, so I wouldn't have to dig for the comment. I'd still be interested in reading it as I appreciate corn that is well written and thoughtfully produced.

I'm still here, ND, reading mostly these days, and appreciating the turn around at Turley's.

Yes, the Sockpuppetry goes on and on, but the humor and authenticity that others having been bringing to the blog has shifted the tone, so there are now more good comments than tainted ones being presented these days. DBQ's consistent delivery of clear opinion and a clean kill shot when necessary, along with Pogo's humor and incisiveness, Aridog's conversational approach and life history all contribute to authenticity, with ChipS, MHaz and Rc dropping more corn in the can, and Trooper's boneheadedness adding another off balance element that works.

Now I'm wondering if anarchists have rhythm in addition to balls?

chickelit said...

@MamaM: link

Scroll up for context; scroll down for more.

chickelit said...

Now I'm wondering if anarchists have rhythm in addition to balls?

You know, I started out reading Simon in my WF Buckley voice listen here. That's an actual Simon comment I was reading (except for the Latin part). But later, I switched and gave that voice over to Ritmo as WF Buckmo. That was a mistake on my part, in retrospect.

I hope Simon had a sense of humor about it. I really like the guy. Althouse did him a tremendous disservice by mostly ignoring his legal opinions -- perhaps because she didn't think that a layman should pretend to read and think about law. But as a teacher and professor, she should have been more nurturing -- perhaps even encouraging him to go to law school.

Just my opinion.

MamaM said...

Thanks Chickelit, I wouldn't have located it without the link and it was worth reading. There was some prime chirbit material in third paragraph, enough for several sound bites. I also appreciated the three options listed by Simon further down. He was on a roll and I find that kind of writing fun and instructive.

Giving the voice over to Ritmo is understandable, as it was he who came to mind as I was listening to the Simon reading. As usual, the chirbits, and the creative playfulness behind their creation, makes me laugh.