Saturday, February 28, 2015

The next time Spinelli and his better half is in Brooklyn....


We will be going to Red Rose. It is old school Italian. The type of red checkered tablecloth joint that they show in "Big Night." Totally different than Marco Polo which is the "ritzy" joint in the neighborhood. The owner Tony is the same guy who had the candy store when I was a kid where I would get the potato and sauce heroes for 25 cents. He is about 80 but is still making the rice balls. My friend Santo his son is running it these days and he is another 50 year old dude running his business and trying to get by.

We will start off with the appetizers:


We have from the top clockwise: eggplant balls, rice balls with rice and peas and a Caesar salad. The eggplant ball is eggplant rolled up with fresh mozzarella in the middle battered and deep fried. The rice ball is the traditional rice, peas, meat and mozzarella deep fried. The Caesar is the traditional with cheese and a leech.

Then the main course:

We had three people but two of us got the same. One had the classic ravioli in marinara sauce. But the wife and I had penne with sweet Italian sausage, garlic, oil and broccoli rabe. Add some cheese and man you are in heaven.

Then we have desert:

So from left to right clockwise we have a hazelnut creme brulee, lemoncello gelato, and chocolate chip gelato which is the wife's favorite. I bet Spinelli will order that.

Of course we will get a great wine in a carafe. The house sangiovese is particularly fine.

The table is set.



17 comments:

ndspinelli said...

We are overdue for a trip east, and it will include a stop to see Trooper and his better half. Brooklyn is the one borough I have spent little time. I learned more from our 2 stops to visit Trooper and his better half than I thought possible.

On a funny note. This guy randyjet, who is an asshole, is unraveling the Pollyanna history of Inga's Nazi father on the Jihadi John thread. I'm being coy, he's just nailing her!

ndspinelli said...

Red Rose sounds like my kinda place. I'm like you Trooper, I can appreciate the higher end Italian, or the old school. They both serve a valuable role in making us who were are..GREASEBALLS!

Trooper York said...

The only problem we will have is when you me and Santo get together and drink some vino and eat some rice balls we will never leave.

ndspinelli said...

I'm fine w/ that. It's like the Hotel California.

ndspinelli said...

I hope Mama is reading the stuff @ Turleys. Trooper has busted Inga about Nazi's. Well, that infected boil has been lanced and it is incredible. She will need intense therapy for years to deal w/ the shit coming out. This is one fucked up woman!!!

blake said...

I gotta come out there some time. After a severe diet. =P

blake said...

Actually, after AND before, too, come to think of it.

ndspinelli said...

Blake, I assess people for a living. Although I am a glass half full person, I know many folks can disappoint you when you meet them. If you are in the NYC area, you will NOT be disappointed by Jim or Lisa. You will be more than pleased you took the time to reach out. Jim is like he writes. I have appreciated his writing even more after meeting him.

ndspinelli said...

When I read his prose, I can hear him speaking the words.

ndspinelli said...

Anthony Mason, former Knick, dead @ 48. couple good years. Ate and snorted himself out of the league.

Dust Bunny Queen said...

Man that food looks good. I must find some recipes on line and try to make the eggplant and the rice balls.

rcocean said...

Looks great - too bad I need to lose weight or I'd run to the nearest Italian restaurant.

Didn't know Mason was a coke user. Probably explains the heart attack at 48. Sad.

chickelit said...

Cibi italiani!

ndspinelli said...

rcocean, Congestive heart failure. I saw Mason on a flight from Vegas a couple years after he retired. He must have weighed 350.

Trooper York said...

Heres the thing.

Artie Cherry blows his brains out.

Anthony Mason croaks from congestive heart failure.

It always comes in threes.

Just sayn'

Michael Haz said...

Food? I'll be there.

MamaM said...

Just don't order up some corn unless you're ready to deal with another blown gasket.