Sunday, February 8, 2015

Why Sports have lost me!


I used to be a great sports fan. I had season tickets to the Yankees, Knicks and Giants. I had season tickets to St. Johns College b-ball and Saturday night fights at the Felt Forum. I went to about six championship fights. I knew every player on every team on every sport. I always had the game on if I wasn't actually at the stadium or the Garden.

But I have lost all of that.

The pressure of work and finance made me give up the tickets. I had to put all my resources and time into the store so I couldn't take the time to go to the game, Most of all I got tied of how the owners treated the fans. It really became noticeable to me this Super Bowl. I didn't see a minute of the game. Now I had a good excuse. I was out at a wake. But even when my cousins were chatting about it and about the Jets and Giants I just wasn't engaged anymore. I can't seem to summon up the interest to even debate any more.

It is all because of jerkoffs like this guy:

NewYork Post February8, 2015
James Dolan is taking out his 10-41 frustrations on the fans.
The Knicks owner fired off a vindictive email telling a longtime fan he should “start rooting.for the Nets because the Knicks dont want you,” among far more malicious comments, a source confirmed.
Dolan was lashing out at the father of filmmaker Aaron Bierman, who had written a fairly boilerplate angry message to the owner calling for him to sell the team,as Deadspin first reported. Dolan’s response to the “Knicks fan since 1952″ was a presumption-filled mess of personal shots. (Sic all):
“I am.just guessing but ill bet your life is a mess and you are a hateful mess,” Dolan wrote. “What have you done that anyone would consider positive or nice. I am betting nothing. In fact ill bet you are negative force in everyone who comes in contact with you. You most likely have made your family miserable. Alcoholic maybe. I just celebrated my 21 year anniversary of sobriety. You should try it. Maybe it will help you become a person that folks would like to have around. In the mean while start rooting.for the Nets because the Knicks dont want you.”
Through a spokesman, Dolan declined comment.
The Cablevision CEO was retaliating to an email highly critical of him, which offered a brief rundown of the many nadirs the Knicks have hit under Dolan’s ownership.
“At one stage I thought that you did a wonderful thing when you acquired EVERYTHING from your dad,” Bierman’s father wrote. “However, since then it has been ALL DOWN HILL. Your working with Isaiah Thomas & everything else regarding the Knicks. Bringing on Phil Jackson was a positive beginning, but lowballing Steve Kerr was a DISGRACE to the knicks. The bottom line is that you merely continued to interfere with the franchise.
“As a knicks fan for in excess of 60 years, I am utterly embarrassed by your dealings with the Knicks. Sell them so their fans can at least look forward to growing them in a positive direction Obviously, money IS NOT THE ONLY THING. You have done a lot of utterly STUPID business things with the franchise. Please NO MORE.”

7 comments:

Trooper York said...

James Dolan, what an asshole!


chickelit said...

Do you have relations with the Knicks?

Aridog said...

I lost almost all interest in sports, particularly NCAA Div 1 and NFL professional football, once one of my favorites...quite simply because they have become "entertainment" more than sports per se. Crap officiating is one of their flaws. Thrown flags picked up and other clown antics. I might still retain interest in Ice Hockey if the cost wasn't prohibitive, since my interest began as a kid in 1949 when my dad took me to games weekly, even to the Montreal Forum. Today if I have extra funds I use it to get together with my daughter and her friends who inspire me because they are all hard working stiffs, cognizant of today's affairs, and represent my/our future. When in college back in the Jurassic period I went to all Red Wing's games with $2.00 SRO tickets...today just SRO is $25 to $35 each...rink side, fuggedaboutit. Ted Lindsay's fight to bring in a union was is not the reason for todays high priced tickets. He was a hero of mine back then and now. I've met both Lindsay and Gordie Howe (they were neighbors near me back in the day) and they played for the sport, not the entertainment.

Okay, now I'll shut up.

ndspinelli said...

When I ordered an Edible Arrangement sent to your hospital room the woman taking the order thought it was for The James Nolan. I told her it was just a schmuck bra salesman, not an asshole owner.

Your evolution is common. It is the one I took when I started a biz, and then a family. I joined a fantasy baseball league when they were nascent in the 90's. But, I realized the other "owners" in the league were much more knowledgeable than I. Working 80 hour weeks doesn't allow you to study the box scores every morning. Add the assholization of sports and it is a natural evolution. Shit, ESPN is geared to 25 year olds, not us.

ndspinelli said...

The James DOLAN, not Nolan. I was trying to make you a deceased character actor.

ndspinelli said...

Ari, Any mention of hockey gives TY the chills. Remember, the poor guy was ass raped by a team of hockey players in Riker's one weekend back in the 70's.

chickelit said...

I thought Troop didn't like hockey because it's a "white" sport?