Monday, December 29, 2008

If Beyonce is Ginger then who is Mary Ann?


New York Post (December 29, 2008)

THE creator of "Gilligan's Island" has signed to make movie version of the classic TV series.
And he says he wants Michael Cera, one of the stars of "Arrested Development," to play Gilligan.
Sherwood Schwartz says a movie is in the works - and that the series will likely be re-imagined for the big screen like so many other vintage shows have been.
Schwartz also said he'd like to see Beyoncé Knowles in the role of Ginger, according to a report in TV Guide.
Cera, who seems to specialize in nebbish roles, is reportedly the lone hold-out in plans to make a movie version of "Arrested Development" sometime next year.
I think the casting is all wrong. Edward Norton should be Gilligan and Angelina Jolie should be Ginger. Beyonce should be Mary Ann who understates her looks and is hotter than ginger. William Hurt is Mr. Howell with Patti Lupones as Mrs. Howell, Nils from Frazier is the professor and Drew Carey should be the skipper. Or the According to Jim guy.

8 comments:

An Edjamikated Redneck said...

Hollywood will proably screw up Gillgan's Island up as bad as they did the Dukes of Hazzard a few years ago.

I haven't really thought of a cast, and I'm not too knowledgeable of current stars, but how about:

The Skipper: Jim Belushi
Gilligan: Jim Carrey
Mr. Howell: Chevy Chase
Mrs. Howell: Christie Brinkley
Professor: Jon Cryer (2-1/2 Men)
Ginger: Victoria Beckham
Mary Ann: Jennifer Aniston

Yeah, some of my choices are crap, but that's why I'm not popular in Hollywood.

Darcy said...

Pretty good, Edjamikated!

I might substitute Kevin James for Belushi, maybe Courtney Cox or Rachel McAdams for Mary Ann. Christine Baranski for Mrs. Howell, and Hugh Laurie as the Professor...hmm..this is kind of fun. But I can't find a role for Colin Firth, damn it. :)

My son thinks the guy who plays Howard on Big Bang Theory would make a good Gilligan.

An Edjamikated Redneck said...

Darcy, I was going or the "NL Vacation" redux with Brinkley, but I like your choice of Barinsky even better!

Hugh Laurie is a good choice too. Did you see him in the live action 101 Dalmations? He was in another Disney/Touchstone comedy as well, but I can't remember which one.

Darcy said...

Yes, I did see that, Edjamikated. Laurie is always good.

And Chevy Chase as Mr. Howell is brilliant, I think.

blake said...

Huh. I thought Sherwood Schwartz dropped dead recently but I guess only the good die young. (He's 92!)

Trooper York said...

He has the full power of the Schwartz.

ricpic said...

I second Darcy on the brilliance of the Chevy Chase as Mr. Howell pick.

Beyonce as Ginger is obscene.

ricpic said...

I seriously think that at least half the success of Gilligan's Island was based on the hypnotic power of the name Gilligan, repeated over and over again. Gilligan, Gilligan, Gilligan, Gilligan, Gilligan...There had to be at least fifty Gilligans voiced per episode.