Wednesday, June 3, 2015

Flowers for Algernon?



No it is not Nick Spinelli's favorite blog or a movie where Cliff Robertson goes full retard. It is my backyard.

Lisa and I used to love to garden in our back yard. We would go to Mazzones and pick up racks and racks of flowers and fix up the yard. Plus we had our rose bushes that I pruned and took care of religiously.

But recently we are so busy that we had to let it go. Plus I don't feel up to it and I don't want to pay someone to do it. So I have let it go. The roses don't care they just bloom.

The fig tree and the pink roses did not do as well. The weather is so bad that it sort of killed the fig three and the weed trees are starting to overwhelm the pink roses. There is nothing for me to do because of my taking blood thinners. If I cut myself I might bleed out. So I am just ignoring it.

The roses are just beautiful. I love spring in New York. It is the best time of year.

5 comments:

Aridog said...

Trooper...I take simple blood thinners...e.g. a full size aspirin once a day. Medicos say it's enough. Not sure what the ultra-sound vascular folks will say after next weeks tests. I bleed like a stuck pig, but it coagulates quickly. Others may have different impacts. Judi notes it (the stains etc.) on pillows etc (looks like I might have been stabbed) and I explain the thin-skin syndrome and the ugly bruising that I am forever with (as was my father)...e.g., my arms usually look like I've been attacked by tigers, etc....just happens when I am out and about and working in the yard...rose bushes are especially noxious, but I adore them ...some of ours here are old varieties dating back 60+ years....like the "American Beauty." I try hard to assure their continuity.

Trooper York said...

I bleed like it is nobodies business. We had to call the paramedics a couple of times.

So I am very careful these days.

ricpic said...

I gardened for a while but frankly the constant war with the weeds got to be too much...or I'm lazy.

MamaM said...

Michigan is beautiful too right now, fresh, green, crisp and fragrant. Our lawn looks and feels like a soft carpet and is a delight to walk on in bare feet.

We simplified our gardening strategy a few years ago when I stopped being able to keep up with the weeds and physical labor involved. Now we use Round-up to control weeds in the wood chipped areas that used to be filled with flowers, and I fill several containers on the deck with flowers I enjoy that are easy care. They provide spots of color and feed the hummingbirds that stop by, with minimal effort on my part and no sharp edges, sweat or bloodletting involved.

The roses in your going-wild garden are magnificent. The rest of the pictures brought up a sense of sadness over something that used to bring peace and enjoyment and now no longer does. I encourage the pair of you to put your heads together and decide what would make you feel good about this space, because I can't imagine looking at it in its current condition and recalling what it used to be is a soul lifting experience. It's easy to lose heart when busy and tired, which makes the need for moments and places of rest and respite all the greater.

chickelit said...

Roses grow wild everywhere. Out here, there is a famous canyon in San Diego named by Spanish explorers. On the famous Portola Expedition which I never tire of blogging about, the Indians gave the explorers rose hips to cure scurvy. I'm not talking about O'Donnell's "scurves" either.