Tuesday, December 16, 2008

We have to be like Martin.




Laurie: [Martin is preparing to join a raid against the Indians and rescue Debbie] You're not goin', not this time.
Martin: Are you crazy?
Laurie: It's too late. She's a woman grown now.
Martin: But I gotta go, Laurie, I gotta fetch her home.
Laurie: Fetch what home? The leavings a Comanche buck sold time and again to the highest bidder, with savage brats of her own?
Martin: [upset] Laurie, shut your mouth.
Laurie: Do you know what Ethan will do if he has a chance? He'll put a bullet in her brain.
[pause]
Laurie: I tell you, Martha would want him to.
Martin: Only if I'm dead.

(The Searchers, 1956)

You know in life, we have to be more like Martin and less like Ethan. Or at least I have to be less dogmatic.

2 comments:

Darcy said...

That's a great pic.

blake said...

OK, Troop, whose brain are you planning to put a bullet in.