Friday, December 12, 2008

Santa has left the building.


Well that's over.

I just finished playing Santa Claus for the Christmas Tree lighting in Carroll Park. The Court St Merchants sponsored a tree lighting ceremony and they asked me to play Santa. It could have been because I am the fatest bastard on Court St or because I would not have a problem embarrassing myself. Either way I had to carry the can.

Now the president of the Merchants called me to his hardware store on Sunday to pick up the suit. It was one that dated from about 1975 and had the original price sticker on it. $19.95 It was from an immigrant Italian family where the dad dressed up every year and he lent to us. The problem was that guy was about ten inches shorter and about 150 lbs lighter than I am so fit was kinka an issue. Imagine John Goodman trying to fit into Roberto Benigni's pants.

Anyway today I had to scramble to make it right. I went all over town trying to get a pair of red sweatpants as the costume pants wouldn't have fit me when I was seven years old. I finally found a pair in one of our big rivals, the very corporate American Apparel. I did make me feel good because the service really sucked. There were four people standing around who wouldn't help me because they were on a break. The cashier had to stop ringing up a customer to show me where the stuff was. If that was my store I would have killed them where they stood.When I finally got the sales clerk to show me where the sweats were and they only had large. Now normally I wear at least a xxl if not an xxxl. But I had to buy them because they were the only ones within thirty blocks of the store.

Then I hit every notions store or hardware store or Rite-aid that had Christmas stuff. I wanted to find an alternative suit or something. Anything to make it less ridiculous. I ended up buying a fake white beard in a novelty shop owned by this very harassed Korean lady. (more about that in another post).

Anyway when I got back to the store it was time to put the outfit together. Luckily we own a plus size store so I had an oversized black belt to wear. Of course it is one with about six buckles that we call the dominatrix belt but it was the only one that fit me and was wide like Santa's belt. So Santa was wearing and S&M belt. Step one.

Then I squeezed into the size large red sweatpants. Let's just say that Santa's package was squeezed pretty tight if you know what I mean. Luckily I am Irish so it wasn't too "big" a problem. I figured with the cold night shrinkage would take care of most of the rest of the problem. Step two.

I put on the hat with the white hair attached and put on first the beard from the costume and then the new beard I had just bought that would actually touch my lips.
You see I didn't know where Santa's beard had been before I got it. Better safe than sorry.

The only thing that saved me was my elf. Now the Dominican guy who owned the bodega next door was supposed to be my elf but of course he pussied out. No balls. So I had my cousin dress in a hot elf costume that she just happened to have in her closet. She had a green dress and multicolored tights and one of those jester hats and the pointy shoes that the elves wear. She looked adorable. She is a very petite size 2 which is very funny when she is working in a plus size store. She is only 19 and very hot so the dads were all very impressed let me tell you. I figured she could get most of the attention and I could avoid the catcalls from the peanut gallery.

Well my job was to go across the street after they lit the tree and greet the children and take pictures and hand out gifts. Of course it didn't run as expected because it was so cold that they speeded everything up. They started to give the gifts before I got there which was ok by me. You see I don't think the kids were really happy getting a calender from the Real Estate who is desperate to make commissions since the bottom fell out of the market. So I didn't feel too bad about missing that part of the program.

Anyway I went into middle of the crowd of parents with their little kids who were wide eyed at meeting Santa. In the dark freezing cold the retarded Santa Suit didn't look to bad. I had a few little jokes for the kids "Did you email me your lists kids because Santa doesn't do snail mail anymore" or "Sorry I was late because I couldn't find a parking space for my reindeer." The kids were ok with that because they were really tiny little ones. But when I asked them what they wanted for Christmas that the real trouble started.

"So what do you want, a rail road set." "No I want an hybird car with a small carbon foot print."

You see these were the devil spawn of liberal yuppies and we had no common ground. And the moms were a real pain in the ass.

"So what do you want for Christmas kid. An official Red Ryder carbine-action 200-shot range model air rifle" "We don't play with guns Santa, what's the matter with you."

"Hi kid what do you want for Christmas an Easy Bake Oven." "I don't force my child into gender specific roles. How dare you Santa."

"Hi guy what do you want for Christmas a Hess truck." "We hate the Oil companies. My Mommy says they caused the war."

"How about a GI Joe with the Kung Fu grip?" "My children do not play with war toys."

The only thing that saved me was that there were a lot of pussy whipped dad's who were grooving on my elf assistant with cold nips. So they were all smiles. One little kid was about three and his dad was holding him and I asked what he wanted for Christmas. He said "An elf." His dad said "Me too." About five or six of the other dads said "Yeah me too."

So I took a lot of pictures with the little bastards and their obnoxious parents and it is finally all over. Now I know why the Santa in A&S was always drunk out of his face. It's not the kids. It's the parents.

Ho, Ho. Ho.

22 comments:

Asante Samuel said...

Dear Santa, it's OK with me if you bring guns as presents for my kids. It's OK if the elf delivers them, too.

Trooper York said...

Hey that's what I give all my nieces and nephews. Little toy guns or easy bake ovens for the girls. Classic toys you know.

blake said...

I don't really dictate what the kids want. Curiously, The Boy has always wanted boy stuff, and the girls have mostly wanted girl stuff.

Go figger.

reader_iam said...

Santa Claus is a made-up fairy tale, and you made up most of your story, too. Nyah-nyah.

Happy Holidays.

(I think my son is experiencing his transition Christmas. You know the one: when a kid really has, at heart, figured out that the whole Santa figment is B.S., but has not figured out that acknowledging the reality doesn't mean he'll get stiffed, at least for the next couple of Christmases or so.)

Trooper York said...

Unfortunately my wife has the photo's to prove it. I will send you the link to snapfish.

reader_iam said...

Oh, I know you dressed up as Santa. Just bustin' you on a couple of the details.

reader_iam said...

Isn't bustin' what commenters are supposed to be doin'? I could swear I heard that somewhere.

reader_iam said...

However, I WOULD love to see the costume. I believe that 100%.

I'm Full of Soup said...

This is a classic post...."Now I know why Santa was always drunk" LOL.

I liked the parent's stuffy PC comments too. What a bunch of killjoys they are.

You should remember to re-post this every Xmas!

blake said...

Snapfish?

Front page those puppies!

Trooper York said...

The details were if anything a little tame. It was yuppiepalozza.
I have to figure out how to post some photos but I will have some up soon.

Trooper York said...

OK is that a retarded Santa Suit or what?

I just want you to know it was freezing cold so the shrinkage was definitely due to the cold.

Santa usually brings a much bigger package down the chimney if you please.

blake said...

When you create a post, third button from the right is a glyph for adding an image. It looks like a framed picture and if you hover the mouse over it, the tooltip will say "Add image".

When you click it, it'll show a little web window that allows you to add a picture from your machine or the web. If you click the "Browse" button, a dialog appears that allows you to browse the files on your machine. Select the picture and click Open.

Then, click the "Upload" button, and voila! You're done!

Darcy said...

That's you? Hee. So cute.

Trooper York said...

The two beards was kind of funky.
But at least I didn't scare the kids.

blake said...

And you'd already figured it out. Heh.

Well, I have to say, I'm a little underwhelmed. I would've thought you were LOTS fatter.

Trooper York said...

Hey I am fat enough man. I go about 302 right now. I just carry it well. I am just a very gracefull dude, what can I say.

reader_iam said...

My theory is that through osmosis, via ongoing contact with his lovely and talented fashion-advisor wife, Troop was able to take what he had and found and use it to the best advantage possible.

(Really, if you haven't checked out Lee Lee's advise, you ought.)

reader_iam said...

My kid has asked for guns for Christmas and we plan to oblige. The knotty problem is where to find the kids who'll be allowed to play with them with him? It's enough to make me wish Santa was real.

reader_iam said...

Toy guns, of course, though he does shoot a BB gun with my dad (a lifelong shooter and collector who taught me how to shoot in 3rd grade, though it's not a hobby I pursue myself) when we visit W.Va. He's actually a good little shot for an 8-year-old: They do cans and such as well as target practice, and my father--not an easy man to please, much less impress--says he's got a great eye and excellent control. You should see a couple of the target sheets I have!

/annoying mama-brag

dbp said...

Trooper, you are quite literally twice the man that I am. 302, you carry it really well.

Great post! and cute cousin.

Meade said...

ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

""Did you email me your lists kids because Santa doesn't do snail mail anymore"

ha ha ha ha ha ha ha