Friday, July 30, 2010

You are Potsie.


I was thinking a lot about the effect of fame on some people after my experience yesterday. A little of it goes a long way to mess you up. Just look at the kids on Jersey Shore. I saw the premiere last night and they have really lost it. If in fact they ever had it. But give someone their five minutes and they think it will never end.


I tell my wife all the time that the two things that people never seem to have is some self-awareness and some humility. Once people get a little notoriety it really goes to their heads. Even when they are just bloggers or even lowly commenter's. People think that other people actually care what they have to say. In reality 99% of the world can't give two shits about what they think. But they scribble furiously on their blogs or in comments in other bigger blogs and think that it all means something. It doesn't.


Even the best bloggers and comenters can go away and most people won't notice after a week or two. People got to get over themselves. I mean everybody is staring in their own movie but to everyone else you are just a bit player. You might think you are John Wayne but in reality you are just Potsie. So have a little humility when you deal with other people. Have a little self-awareness. You are not a big enough deal to get to act like a diva. Get over yourself. Seriously.


You are Potsie.

17 comments:

Opus One Media said...

someone always cares what you think. if it isn't human then it is a diety - whichever you choose.

chickelit said...

I saw this warm up band at the Dick Dale last Saturday show called Kettle Black. Man did they suck. Yet when I go to Google for video for the show that's all that comes up.

Sometimes all the oxygen in the room is taken up by the wrong elements too. That's also annoying.

Trooper York said...

This post came about because of my experiances yesterday.

I know someone always cares. But it usually just someone close to you like your wife or family.

Most of the time it is a blip on the radar.

The worst thing you can hear is "Don't you know who I am?"

Trooper York said...

The proper answer to that is:

"Yeah I know who you are. A dick."

Trooper York said...

Even if they are a cunt.

blake said...

Potsie? Not even Ralph Malph? He, at least, sang the series theme song!

dbp said...

I have found that people care what you think in inverse proportion to how willing you are to tell them what you think.

Michael Haz said...

What'd I miss?

chickelit said...

What'd I miss?

nuanced subtlety? :)

Anonymous said...

Potsie, checking in.

Trooper York said...

Dude, where you been?

I was getting worried but I thought that since it was ice cream season you were just very busy.

Anonymous said...

Michael Haz said...
What'd I miss?


Prolly the same thing I missed.

Anonymous said...

Been swamped this summer. It's 2:43 and I just got home. Lots of tourists this year, compared to last. Lost a manager just before the busy season, so I'm working seven days a week. Didn't think I could get any leaner until this economy taught me how to squeeze tighter. I used to be able to squeeze a pint of oil out of a penny, but I can get almost a quart now.

Potsie out.

P.S. Fired a teenager last weekend. She and her family attend our church, so it makes it even better. She was only clocked in 8 minutes before I told her (and I quote): "Clock out, I'm done with you." Can't wait to greet the family at church tomorrow.

Trooper York said...

I totally know what you mean. I want to fire my whole staff but you can't replace something with nothing. So sometimes you have to swallow stuff that you never wanted to in order to just get through the day.

That's why the wife and I were in the store till 1 in the morning twice this week trying to get ready for the TV show and have the store look good for the sales week.

When you own a business you have work three times as hard just to stay in business.

chickelit said...

So whose Potsie?

Trooper York said...

Mindy Cohn.

Jeez it aint that hard to follow guys.

chickelit said...

Mindy Cohn

I thought you were still talking about Snooki. My bad.