Sunday, June 23, 2013

Hey I thought it was Tony Soprano that was dead?



So the saga of the friends turning 50 continues.

As I might have mentioned all of the wife's friends from grammar school are turning 50 this past year. Today it was Teresa's turn and the event she chose was going into the city to a play. Of course she had to choose a gay play. Ok all plays are gay but this was extra gay. It was the gayest of the gay. Almost everything about it was gay. The actors were gay. 99% of the audience was gay. It was the epi center of gayness in New York City.

The play was Kinky Boots and it is about a shoe factory that stops making wing tips and starts making boots for transvestites. It was pretty boring but it won every award at the Tony's. The lead mo really couldn't sing that well. We have gone to a lot of shows over the years with some great singers and this guy just wasn't that good. He was a decent actor. Well over actor because it was the stage and he was emoting to the guy in the last seat in the Theater. Of course that guy was gay. Just sayn'

The show was a pastiche of recycled Kym-by-ya bullshit. You know what I mean. Gays are the only real people. You have to accept everyone for who they are even if who they are is six foot black dudes in a dress sucking dicks in a dirty men's room. Recycled self congratulatory crapola of politically correct clap trap. With the same songs over and over written by Cindy Lauper.

So the girls all had a great time. I was bored out of my mind. Later we took a photo outside and went for drinks. Lisa posted it on face book as Jim and his bitches.

So I can't bitch to her about it. So I am bitching to youse guys.

27 comments:

Trooper York said...

I wore the Tony Soprano look to represent.

MamaM said...

Bullish. To match your pastiche.

1. like a bull,
2. causing, expecting, or characterized by a rise in prices a bullish market
3. Informal cheerful and optimistic, the prime minister was in a bullish mood
bullishness

chickelit said...

MamaM said...
Bullish. To match your pastiche.

Remember when pastiches turned your fingers red?

chickelit said...

Troop, the play sounds like the one in Team America!

Trooper York said...

It was pretty bad. But everybody else thought it was great.

What the fuck do I know?

Trooper York said...

It is like the situation when you go to someone's house and they show you the picture that there demon spawn had finger painted. They ooh. They ah.

You just have to say what the fuck do I know.

chickelit said...

It's a woman's world anymore.

The Dude said...

AReasonableMan agrees.

ricpic said...

It hurts me, the cost of the tickets, and to see what? B'way dreck. I swear sometimes the good life seems like a slow crucifixion.

Evi L. Bloggerlady said...

Ha! The Theater! They used to call it Legitimate Theater, but that term is way old fashioned.

chickelit said...

AReasonableMan agrees.

Just the usual frisson

The Dude said...

Quel frottage!

windbag said...

What's that girl behind you doing? The one with her hands thrown up in ecstasy?

ndspinelli said...

TY be pimpin'

rcocean said...

"The play was Kinky Boots and it is about a shoe factory that stops making wing tips and starts making boots for transvestites."

Its like an old Bob Hope joke that became reality. Welcome to the 21st Century.

rcocean said...

And great picture.

Dust Bunny Queen said...

Why is everyone dressed in black?

The play sounds horrible. I would have be dragged there by my hair and would never dream of asking the Dumbplumber to go to such a thing! At least I hope you all went out for some nice cocktails and appetizers.

The Dude said...

Forget about it, DBQ, it's New Yorktown.

chickelit said...

Why is everyone dressed in black?

It's funereal.

Evi L. Bloggerlady said...

They are wearing black for the death of the Republic.

chickelit said...

Weasel looks germanic and so it is: weasel. I link the newer definition of sucking the meaning out of a word like a weasel sucks a chicken egg dry leaving the shell intact.

chickelit said...

I meant "like" not "link" but still kind of makes sense.

MamaM said...

It does. It also fits this "kinky boots" thread, though I'm not certain that's where you were headed with the weasel!

And yes I do remember the red finger pistiches. I'm more into salt and pepper greenness now!

Michael Haz said...

It was pretty bad. But everybody else thought it was great.

I like when that happens to me. It puts me on a different plane than most of those around me, which only reinforces how right I feel.

When Rent was staged in Chicago (working the bugs out before it opened in NYC) I thought it was awful. The production company's marketing people were gently soliciting opinions in the lobby after the performance and one of them asked mine.

I said two things: (1) If this was about kidney disease, it would never have been mounted. What's so special about AIDS? And (2) It's a middle of the road musical that has one good, memorable song.

You shoulda heard the swearing from those around me. It was fun. And I was right.

Go with your instincts.

windbag said...

One of my emerging pleasures in life is dissecting movies with my son. Our little town has a crappy theater--spotty screen, audio bleed-through from the adjacent theaters--so we like to drive to Asheville for the ones we want to catch on the big screen. I'm sure people around us are annoyed as hell with some of the brutal takedowns we've made over dinner after the show.

The only thing positive we had to say about "Man of Steel" was when they rolled the credits. We stood up and announced, "Well, it's over."

I would be stabbed and left for dead if I attended a Broadway show.

The Dude said...

Rent - it's been done.

blake said...

"Kinky Boots" is based on a seven year old Australian flick.

So it's got that going for it.