Sunday, June 14, 2009

Remembrance of Things Pabst.


One of the worse things you can do in a bar is talk to the regulars. You see every bar has a couple of lost souls that are there every day come rain or come shine. The might be retired or a secretary that works in the building across the street. When you first meet them they might seem superficially interesting. But the thing is they tell you the same stories over and over again. If you don’t come in and sit next to them when you walk in the bar then they mark you as lousy as too big for your britches. So to be polite you get stuck listening to the same tired bullshit time after the time.

The trick is always being nice and say hello but never get into a one on one conversation with them. Be polite and don’t actively show that you don’t want to talk to them, just spout a generality or two and then excuse yourself to go to the bathroom or to make a phone call or grab a cigarette. Even if you don’t smoke.

There was a place on 46th street called the Pig & Whistle that was just like that. It was an old school Irish Bar that was set up just the way I love it. Guinness and Jameson with a generous pour and a liberal buy back policy. I always tip extremely well so I was very popular with all the bartenders. But they had these two women that were regulars that were really a pain in the ass. They were superficially attractive and you would think it would be a good idea to talk to them. But they were stone cold psycho. I mean that is not to say that they didn’t have talent. One of them could fit a whole cigar in her mouth. My buddy was clipping his cigar and she goes to him “You know you need to moisten that up” He goes “Why are you gonna help me out.” “Sure” she says and takes the cigar, puts it between her lips and sucks it right in. All the way in. Then takes it out. Backwards. Even took the label of for him. Now I don’t know about you but that was kind of scary.

Her conversation was even worse. She had a mouth like a truck driver and had to recount how every man she ever met screwed her over. It just got old listening to that shit. It is the bartender’s job to nip that shit in the bud you know. I mean he has to tell her to cut that shit out or else find another bar. Or the people who are going to find another place where they don’t have to listen to bullshit all the time.

So it was time to give the Pig and Whistle a Pass-a-dena after that. You see the regulars were just too annoying. I gave up hanging around on street corners because the conversation was the same old bullshit every day. It just wasn’t worth it to wet you Whistle when you had to listen to some stupid pigs.

So to speak.

11 comments:

Jason (the commenter) said...

A warning to bloggers everywhere.

Anonymous said...

I like to drink at home. Alone. In the dark...except for a candle or two. I'm the only regular in this place, so I end up talking to myself. I repeat myself repeatedly.

rcocean said...

"When you first meet them they might seem superficially interesting. But the thing is they tell you the same stories over and over again. So to be polite you get stuck listening to the same tired bullshit time after the time."

I've heard Mrs RC make the same complaint - why do you think I started my blog?

Trooper York said...

One of the things I am always saying is "Let me know if I told you this story already."

As I am sure you know one of my favorite things to do is tell stories about stuff that happened to me with descripitons and details that make it amusing. But sometimes I forget that I might already have told that story. So please set me staight if I repeat myself.

Hey did I ever tell you the story about the twin Irish waitresses from the Quiet Man on the day after St Patricks Day?

chickelit said...

Love the allegory!

blake said...

Yeah, I think you did tell us that story, Troop.

But it gets better every time you tell it....

Trooper York said...

Really? Did I include the thing with the mayonaise the raw corn beef?

Cause that was freaky.

Ron said...

F'in Hell, I think I used to go to this bar! I remember a poster from an Irish band...that the bartender said the owner was related to someone in the band...

And then drinking occurred.

Trooper York said...

That would be Black 47 which is a well know Irish punk band with donkeys from Ireland and some american guys.

Now they play in a joint on 23rd St I think.

Fred4Pres said...

Excellent advice. Reminds me of the time I was in an Irish bar in Jersey City and some drunk Portuguese bums a cigarette off me. Before I know it he is giving his (loud) explanation of why the Irish are really the lost tribe of Israel. While I am not saying the Irish are antisemetic, let me suggest that they don't particularly like being called Jews. That conversation permanently spoiled that bar for me (but fortunately it was not that good a bar anyway, so no real loss).

ken in tx said...

Hey Fred, you know the guy in Finnegans Wake was Jewish, or maybe that was Ulysses. I forget. One of them was.