Saturday, March 27, 2010

Remembrance of things Pabst,


So we went out last night with my best friend and his wife. Now we have been hanging out since we are about ten years old and we were very lucky that our wives really get along great. We were each the best man in the other guys wedding. His wife also owns a boutique so the wives have a lot to talk about. We always have a great time and the only problem is that we don't get to hang around enough.

Now my buddy is great guy who doesn't say all that much. He likes to listen and throw a word in here and there but with his wife and my wife and me all talking there is no need for him to jump into the conversation. But he has this one bad habit. At the end of the night, he has a bad habit of saying something that will piss someone off. Often it is just one sentence. But for some reason it always starts a beef. I mean I had to take to the hospital for stitches and break up fights and got thrown out of more joints that I want to remember. All because of one sentence at the end of the night.

So we are at the wine and cheese joint and the dude who looks just like Big Pussy from the Soprano's is at the end of the bar. I mean he looks just like him and dresses the part with the jogging suit and the gold chains and the works. He is there most every night. He is a neighborhood knock around guy and owns a big gas station on Hamilton Avenue. He comes into the joint almost every night and has a bottle of wine and some food just like we do. I always say hello but pass right on by as you know I never get in conversations with the regulars. But we are on very good terms because we always say hello and goodbye but we mind our own business.

So my buddy goes to the bar to pay the check and he knows this guy because he brings his car to be serviced there. They greet each other and say "How ya doing." Which should have been it. Don't over think it. But he has to add on the kicker. He goes, " Hey how come the last time I can to your shop you were too busy to inspect my car?" The guy goes "waddaya talking about... we were just busy but my brother said he would get to it but you were too impatient." "Well I had to take it to the dealer." And the back and forth continued. I jumped in and smoothed it over and everything was all right. But we had a big laugh later.

I said to him as we left the joint "Dude, what the fuck are you doing. The last thing you want to deal with at the end of the night is an irritated Big Pussy."

Words to live by.

3 comments:

chickelit said...

The guy's not German is he? Often times you have to wait until the very last word of a sentence to catch the verb. It's just an awful characteristic of the German language.
It drove Mark Twain nuts too.

Just sayin' Huck.

I'm Full of Soup said...

Do the people at your store and at this bar know you have a blog?

Trooper York said...

Well I mention it AJ but most of them are too busy with their lives to spend much time on the internet.
So they don't get it.

Although every once in while I meet someone who has read.

Also a couple of commenters on Althouse have stopped by the store. They are always welcome.