Wednesday, November 19, 2014

Remembrance of Things Pabst



So last Friday night we were exhausted again. We had a trunk show with a jewelry designer which actually worked out quite well. We thought it was going to be a bust as it was on a cold Friday night and it was from 4pm to 7pm which is not prime time for shopping.

Our good friend Zuly was in town so we decided to go out to eat as we usually do. We started out with the idea of going to the hipster place "Black Mountain" but we got sidetracked. When we walked past Red Rose we noticed that they had chicken spedini's and Lisa was not going to let that go. So we had to go old school.

Red Rose is a real Old School guinea joint that has been around for fifty years. I have to take Spinelli there the next time he is in town. The bar has every old timey bottle your father or grandfather ever ordered at the Knights of Columbus. The best thing of course is the rice balls.

We had a delicious tomato and roasted pepper soup and rice balls and a new treat eggplant balls. Just like the rice ball but made with eggplant instead of rice and man they were great. Plus lots of bread to dip in the soup. We were off the leash and not paying attention to our diets.

Lisa went with the chicken spedini served with veggies and a potato croquet. Zuly went with the special which was a rack of lamb. The photo doesn't do it justice because the lighting is so poor.

I went with my favorite. Meatballs and spaghetti. When I was a kid my Mom might have served that three times a week. She would make a big pot of Meatballs on Sunday. Or better yet Grandma would and give us a big pot to bring home. Then she would make some pasta to put the sauce and meatballs over. It could be spaghetti. Linguine. Fusilli. Whatever. It was just a taste of home.

Eating at Red Rose is like eating at home for me. We know Santo and his wife for forty years and have enjoyed many a good meal there. We just can't eat like that anymore. I have a heart condition you know. The fucking doctor is going to weigh me and tell me I am a fat fuck again. So I have to watch it.

But it was fun to have a taste of old times.

10 comments:

ndspinelli said...

We hope to get back east next summer and dine w/ you good folks @ this classic place.

Trooper York said...

Sounds good Nick.

Trooper York said...

Someday I will come out to Wisconsin.

Trooper York said...

Wait who am I kidding?

Trooper York said...

It's the thought that counts.

ndspinelli said...

You are the consummate homeboy. I accept that. It's just amusing that we are polar opposites in that regard. I'm currently watching The Undefeated. Rock and the Duke were polar opposites as well.

ndspinelli said...

I'll be Duke.

ndspinelli said...

I may have told you this. A friend of mine in KC, John Brown, trained Tommy "Duke" Morrison. John is a big John Wayne fan. He made up the story that Tommy was related to the Duke so they could give him the nickname. Kinda like Charlie Finley made up the "Catfish" nickname.

Evi L. Bloggerlady said...

You got me hungry even with the meatballs.

blake said...

My mom has an original copy (purchased at the time of release, no doubt) of Vincent and Mary Price's "A Treasury of Great Recipes".

I grew up on the spaghetti sauce recipe from Sardi's. Still my favorite thing in the world.