Saturday, July 11, 2009

Problems of a shopkeeper


I write about problems of a shopkeeper on a Saturday morning because that is when I am in the front of the store waiting on customers since I give the wife a break on a Saturday morning. It doesn't really start hopping till after one but we do have business before then.

Today I had two Russian women come in and I had to say I was suspicious. You see we get a lot of other stores and designers who shop us. They come to see the labels and the designs and to see what they can steal. They might call up the designer to buy the same dresses for their store or simply knock off a design that they might happen to like. Now when I know they are doing this I have a simple solution. I throw their ass out of the store. We did this with a big mouth designer that we are having a feud with now. She never loses an opportunity to bad mouth us which is OK because her clothes are crap. When you have the clothes you don't have to worry about petty shit like that.

Now my daughter is wearing the green marble Lulu that has been a big seller for us. The wife designed it in collaboration with Olivia Harper and the fit is on the money. We put it in several rich fabrics and it has been selling well. We even got an online order form Malta! Holy Maltese Falcon Batman.

To get back to the Russians, I wasn't sure what the deal was. It looked like it was legitimate because they picked only one size although it is the size you use for a fit model. They didn't buy anything but that is not unusual either. So I don't know what was up. There are several communities that live in their own little world. The Orthodox Jews, the Russians, the Indians. They all have stores that sell plus but solely to their community. They are not part of the larger industry in any real way so they could rip off a dress and we would be none the wiser. They can't get the same fabric so I am confident that they will dumb it down and make it cheaper in both price and quality. So I am not really sweating it. I just like to know who I am dealing with when someone is in the store.

No comments: