Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Goading the Muse


this man used to be an
interesting writer,
he was able to say brisk and
refreshing things.
at the time
I suggested to the editors and
the critics that he was one to
be watched
and also that he had hardly yet been
noticed
and that he certainly should now be
noticed.
this writer used some of my
remarks as blurbs for his
books, which I didn't
mind.
all of his publications were little
chapbooks, 16 to 32
pages,
mimeographed.
they came out at a
rapid rate,
perhaps three or four a
year.
the problem was that each
chapbook seemed a little weaker
than the one that preceded
it
but he continued to use my old
blurbs.
my wife noticed the change
in his writing
too.
'what's happened to his
writing?' she asked me.
'he's doing too much of it, he's
pushing it out, forcing it.'
'this stuff is bad, you ought to
tell him to stop using your
blurbs.'
'I can't do that, I just wish he
wouldn't publish so much.'
'well, you publish all the
time too.'
'with me,' I told her, 'it's
different.'

yesterday I received another of his
little chapbooks
with his delicate dedication scrawled
on the title page.
this latest effort was totally
flat.
the words just fell off the
page,
dead on
arrival.

where had he gone?

too much ambition?
too much just doing it for the sake
of doing it?
just not waiting for the words to
pile up inside and then
explode of their own
volition?

I decided then I should take a whole week
off,
be on the safe side,
just shut the computer down,
forget the whole damned silly
business
for awhile.

as I said, that was
yesterday.

10 comments:

chickelit said...

"too much ambition?"

I think not. David Mamet does a fairly good job discussing the difference between greed and ambition and their confusion.

He also has a fairly eye-opening take on divorce in his latest book. But so many people people have "meh'd" that book already that one never even hears any discussion.

ndspinelli said...

Introspection from Trooper. I like it.

blake said...

Troop--

Have you seen "Bukowski: Born Into This"? It's really quite good, against the odds.

Are you saying the latest "Thrones" book isn't good?

blake said...

'cause that'd be a shame.

I've been watching the Plinkett reviews of the Star Wars prequels. Really outstanding stuff, each review running over an hour in length.

Creativity is an elusive thing, it seems.

Trooper York said...

Not that it's not good but it is just filler. Sort of like the "Phantom Menace" or the middle six Harry Potter movies you talk about in your blog.

It doesn't resolve much. It is too repetitive for such a long wait. It seems like filler to me.

I think Martin has gone "Hollywood" and is more worried about the HBO series than the source documents. He needs to hand it off to someone else if he doesn't want to complete it in a reasonable time. Just sayn'

Trooper York said...

Nd I am always introspective.

Every morning I count the hair on my balls. Just sayn'

ndspinelli said...

Well..I guess if you can't lick them that's the next best thing.

Trooper York said...

Hey if I could lick them I would never leave the house.

chickelit said...

Hey if I could lick them I would never leave the house.

That answers my earlier question.

ricpic said...

When a man cups his balls
It's an act of prayer,
Like the comfort of walls --
Just knowing they're there.






Oh...I was supposed to make sense?

Also, do the Kids In The Hall cup their balls?
Do they even have balls?
Cela.