Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Remembrance of things Pabst


So we finished work late last Friday and we decided to go out for dinner. We wanted to try something new and decided to walk up Court St instead of down towards our house. You see we normally walk down Court towards 3rd Place to go home and hit all of the places in that direction. We go to the Wine and Cheese and Casa Rosa and Nine D Thai and the Mexican Joint. That’s one of the reasons we never go to Sam’s because it is out of the way. But we decided to try a place that has been around a long while but we have never tried. ‘Mama Maria’s.”

Now this is the little restaurant that they opened next to Sal’s pizzeria on Court St. Now I ate my first piece of pizza in that shop when it was still Tom’s pizzeria in 1963. I was just a kid and my dad brought me in after I got my first big boy hair cut. Eventually the guy who owns it now bought it in the early 1970’s I think.

I have told you that Carroll Gardens is all about beef’s. You have a beef with the owner of a store and you don’t go in there for the next thirty years or so. That’s sorta what happened with Sam’s even though it wasn’t my beef but my best friends. Well he has a beef with the owner of this joint too. In fact his wife was gonna rent the store across the street that they guy owns until my friend got involved. The landlord is getting ready to do the lease and looks at my friend and goes “Do I know you.” And he goes “Yeah you wouldn’t put any ham in my calzone.” “I remember you….I no a renta to you…you crazy bastard.” His wife was distraught. She asked when did this argument happen. It was relatively recently. 1975. So they lost the space.

Anyway I don’t have a beef with the owners as I wasn’t there at the time. Also I sort of became friends with the owner’s son who is running the joint now. We were allied in fighting the Merchants Association when they tried to do a “Business Improvement District.” He was there with a bunch of the Italians from Carroll Gardens who were screaming along with a bunch of Arabs from Cobble Hill that owned all the stuff up there. They were wailing and carrying on. I just waited patiently. When the City’s representative came to the meeting I started asking questions. You see I had done my homework. Questions like “Are we liable if the BID get’s sued.” “They never got sued.” “Yes they did here is the article from the Times where the Grand Central BID was sued and had to pay hundreds of thousands of dollars.” I had a bunch of questions like that for which this poor sucker had no answers. All the crazies quieted down and watched while I sorta destroyed the guy. It was in the winter in the Bank with the heat way up and the guy got so uncomfortable that he fainted dead away on the floor. I said “O shit. We are gonna look bad.” I told the pizza store guy “fall on the floor and pretend you having a stroke to even up the odds.”

I didn’t want the yuppie girls who owned boutiques to vote for the BID because we were mean to the douchenozzle from the city.

Anyway after that a bunch of guys asked me to do their taxes including the guys who owned the Pizza store. But I had to decline as I was getting out of the business. But I made a lot of friends like the owners of this joint.

We went in to eat at the small adjoining restaurant called Mama Maria’s that is next to the pizza store. It was terrific. He has a pasta machine from Italy that makes this unbelievable fresh pasta. I had gnocchi in pesto that was off the hook. The wife had tortellini in a veal ragu that was superb. It was one of the best Italian meals I had in a long time. For desert he has a range of homemade gelato that is like heaven. I had the zuppa d’ ingles gelato that was one of the best I have ever had. Who knew that this hidden treasure was just a couple of blocks in the other direction? It is our new go-to place. In fact I think I am taking everyone there tonight after we finish fixing up the store for the filming of “What Not to Wear.”

Tonight they have a steak special.

14 comments:

Titus said...

Bitch, totally jel.

Love gnocchi more than India.

ndspinelli said...

Come on Trooper..pesto, your bride had a more manly pasta than you. The gnocchi is manly, but not w/ pesto for Chrissake..buck up buttercup!

windbag said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Titus said...

OK, some other Fag on Althouse is going to the same gym as me in Wisconsin, I think, and he is starting to get all creepy.

I am a little afraid that he knows who I am and is going to rape me.

Thank God I am back to Boston in one month.

But the fruit is always posting comments about how I am a mystery and shit like that.

It's fucking creepy I tell ya. And I am a married woman!

Fucking Fags, they are always sniffing around for trouble.

Titus said...

OK, the fag is a lawyer, is there anything worse than a fag lawyer?

Maybe a fag, journalist lawyer.

Help me fellow Yorkians.

I am scared that some gross, older, fag is stalking me.

Anonymous said...

Nothing beats a well done, bright summertime pesto, nothing!

Trooper York said...

The pesto was pretty good as was the tortellini with the veal ragu. These guys come from Ischia where my family comes from which is a small island in the Bay of Naples. So the pesto is full of pignole nuts and garlic and parsley and lemon. It was very well done.

I like to eat light in the summer so I only had two plates.

Beth said...

"He has a pasta machine from Italy that makes this unbelievable fresh pasta."

That sentence just took me back to the early 80s, when I worked as a cook. I had one job at a place owned by a bunch of lawyers. They wanted a modern Italian bistro to impress their snazzy Uptown friends and for a big tax writeoff. But they screwed up the money and on top of their mismanagement, the accountant, a quiet, blend-into-the-woodwork kind of guy, embezzled and, I kid you not and this is really, really sad, jumped off the Mississippi River Bridge when he got caught. But in the couple of years they managed to keep it open, we made some wonderful food, and one thing they did right was to buy a fantastic pasta machine from Italy. The Italian company sent someone over to install it and show us how to use it.

It was about the size of a jukebox. This looks about right, but ours was red and I just remember thinking it was beautiful.

Once a week, I'd get pasta duty and do nothing for hours but mix, roll, cut, dry and bag all sorts of pasta for that night's service. Pasta duty was a nice break, as the machine was in the back corner, away from the rest of the kitchen. I could turn on some tunes, get in my own little zone and crank out those noodles.

Hi Trooper - thanks for sparking this memory for me.

TTBurnett said...

Great story, Beth. Sorry about the accountant, tho.

ndspinelli said...

Beth, Your experience is one of the rants Anthony Bourdain makes in his books. Rich jerks wanting to own a restaurant and running it into the ground. My immigrant grandfather started w/ a fruit/vegetable stand and a food cart delivering sandwiches to factory workers. Eventually he opened a restaurant that he passed on to his 2 sons. My old man realized he couldn't handle raising a family and being in that biz so he was smart enough to get out. My uncle had the personality for it and carried it on. When he retired the 50 year restaurant closed. We all worked there[he also did catering..what a pain in the ass that is!] and have no illusions of the "glamour"

Beth said...

ndspinelli, I wish I'd gotten to cook at a family place, and appreciate that family tradition. That's very much alive here in New Orleans. The seafood and vegetable vendors are also usually multi-generational, family-run operations.

Trooper York said...

Hey Beth long time no see. I hope you and your partner and your weiner dog are feeling good these days.

We all miss you. Come back soon!

Penny said...

Know what most restaurant owners and their staff have in common?

Tonight.

Titus said...

Hello, bitches? I may be raped by some whitey in Wisconsin.

Does anyone care?

This is bullshit.